Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Lexi's P.O.V.

It's nearly 10pm when my dad and I drive onto our land. I called ahead and asked Caleb to get four spare stalls ready for the new horses. He sounded exceptionally cheery as he agreed but I didn't question his reasoning behind it.

Caleb, Nate, Austin and Charlie all appear as we pull up outside the barn. The horses come off the trailer quickly and they are not particularly happy about the ordeal they've been put through.

I say, "Mares next to each other and boys opposite please."

Once they're in the stalls, I make sure they've got hay and water. They don't need any grain because they're not working yet and I don't want them to get colic from eating grain after the stressful journey.

I turn to my dad and say, "Go on in, dad. I'll keep an eye on them for a bit."

"You sure?"

"Yes sir. I've got this. You should get some rest."

My dad drove to the sales and I drove back, but he looks tired. I don't like to see him so drained. Sundays are his lie in day. Granted he only gets two hours extra, but it makes a big difference, trust me. At least he will get a few extra hours in the morning.

My dad thanks the guys for their help and then tells them they can all turn in. I'll just stay for a little while to make sure the new arrivals settle and then I'll head on in. I might go to the lake first, see if I can get rid of some of the stiffness in my muscles from sitting in the truck for so long.

As I watch the horses, I stretch out my arms and back and then roll my head from side to side. I'm tired too, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep just yet. My mind is all over the place and I'm not quite sure how to even start filtering through my thoughts. My dad and Roxy have given me a lot to think about.

On one hand, I'd like to go back to New York. I miss the thrill of the club. I miss having the control that life gave me. I miss being my own person. I miss not having to worry about what the town or my parents will say or whether or not I'll mess up in front of my mom.

On the other hand, I appreciate that it's not an ideal job, and not one I would be able to do forever. I'm aware that I would have to find another ranch and start my year all over again, if I were to move on. I have missed this place though. It's my home and my family are here. I also realize that things have been better since Nate hasn't been around. I don't know if that's just because I haven't been so on guard or wary of where he is and what he's doing. Or maybe him not being around means I don't need to think about the past and whether or not he's telling the truth. I don't know what the real reason is, but things have been more quiet.

Is that something I want permanently? I don't even know anymore. When I first got back, I would have been able to answer that question before you'd even finished asking it. Now? I'm not so sure. If we can continue with the quiet and without the hate and resentment, then things will be ok. If we can just exist in the same space without talking to each other or interfering in each other's lives, then things might actually work out ok.

Maybe that's what my dad meant when he said I should think about it and talk to Nate. I shake my head and rub my temples. It's too late for thinking about this right now. I'm not thinking clearly, obviously. If I was, I wouldn't be entertaining thoughts of Nate and how to coexist in the same place.

I spend a few more minutes watching the horses. I'm sitting on a hay bale outside the palomino's stall and I start to doze off when I hear someone clear their throat.

My eyes snap open and I turn my head quickly to see who it is.

Nate mutters, "She's a beautiful mare, isn't she?"