Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Lexi's P.O.V.

I'm looking at the TV screen, but I'm not really paying attention to the images. I'm replaying the conversation Matt and I just had.

He takes my right hand in his as he exits the house. We stand on the porch in silence for a few seconds. He runs his fingers over the horseshoe and lets out a deep breath.

Eventually, he whispers, "I really like you Lexi. I always have, but I'm not sure how I feel about this."

He's referring to the tattoo.

I'm momentarily stunned but then I find my voice, "Huh?"

"Are there more than this one?"

I nod, my eyes wide with uncertainty at this whole situation.

"Are they visible?"

"Some."

He silent again before clearing his throat and asking, "Can I see them?"

I shrug, turn my back to him and then show him the butterfly behind my ear and the cluster of stars at the base of my neck. I'm not ashamed of my tattoos but I'm starting to see that not everyone is as accepting here. I don't know why I thought any different really.

"And the ones that aren't visible?"

I answer, "You don't get to see those, at least not yet."

Under normal circumstances, I would have no problem with showing him or anyone else, but after the dressing down my mom just gave me, I decide that's not a good idea.

He smiles a little, "I wasn't askin' to see them. I'm just askin' about them."

"I have four more."

His eyes nearly fall out of his head, "Four?"

"Yes sir. They can't be seen unless I uncover them though."

I don't know why I feel the need to clarify that. I shouldn't have to explain myself. Maybe I'm looking for acceptance more than I realize. Everyone wants to be loved and accepted, right? I thought I didn't need that. I thought I could be a strong, independent woman, but maybe I was wrong all along. Maybe I just shut myself off from everyone while I was in New York and I was never strong to begin with.

"I'm not sure what to say or think about this. What will people say?"

"Seriously? You're worried about what people will say? Does that even matter?"

"You should know that it does in this town, Lex. I'm the Sheriff and people expect certain things from me..."

"So, because I have tattoos then we can't be seen together?"

"I didn't say that..."

"Well, it sure sounded like it. So what are you sayin'?"

He sighs, "I don't know, Lexi. I mean, I have to think about my reputation because of my job. It may not be important to you, but it has to be important to me."

I nod, "I understand. It's fine. I had fun the other night but that's it. Thanks for checkin' in on us."

I turn away from him, but he grabs my hand and pulls me back toward him while calling my name.

"Wait, Lexi."

"For what?"

"Can't we at least talk about this?"