Chapter 26

This was the second time this week that Peter had been nervous about knocking a door. But taking a deep breath he managed it. To think just a few minutes ago he felt confident to take on the world with his suit on, having had time to stop a couple of bike robberies before coming over to (Y/N)'s apartment as she had asked.

Knocking on the door it was promptly answered by Silas. Looking Peter up and down he gave a welcoming smile.

"Hello there Peter. So, you're aware of what an 'Angel' our daughter is?"

"Um yes, yes sir!" He nodded rapidly.

"No need to be so formal call me Silas. Come in." he gestured they both walked in "don't worry it's just me. Maurice is at a restaurant."

"O-okay."

"You look white as a sheet, I'd offer you a drink if you weren't under age."

"I don't drink anyway."

"I'd say keep it that way, you remember the Sunday mornings more than the Saturday nights."

Peter stood there unsure of how to answer.

"Listen Pete stop being so nervous, it's just you're the first person my daughters told about her powers in years. And you haven't blabbed by now, so you're fine. I just wanted to thank you."

"Thank me for what?"

Silas leaned on the back of the sofa, as though pondering his words.

"Listen Peter, (Y/N) won't you so I will. Nor will she mind me telling you. She lost her parents, older sister and pet dog in a house fire when she was younger. Now mutants powers tend to evolve through puberty, or traumatic events. Born with her wings (Y/N) was able to heal after the incident. So she sees it as her fault for not being able to save her family, hence why's she kept her powers hidden al three years."

"I'm sorry sir for-

"Don't you dare apologise."

"You don't know what I was going to apologise for."

"Yes I do I'm an empath."

"An empath?"

"Yes. I'm a mutant too."

"And is Maurice a..."

"No. The most boring one of the family. Besides once being a karat instructor."

"He was-

"Anyway. It's because I'm an empath I've been able to do my job. I'm a social worker for young mutants. Five years ago I was in Britain for a pleasure trip. When I felt an overwhelming sense of grief and pain. One I've only felt twice."

"From where?"

"(Y/N). And you."

"Me?"

"I've passed you many times in the street. And a year ago I knew how much you were hurting. That and also have a large secret. Which I won't ask you about. In Britain I was drawn to (Y/N) refusing to leave her there. So don't you apologise. As I'm fully aware of how much you two are helping each other. Keep encouraging her to use her powers for me. Because there's nothing worse than a mutant denying who they are."