Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Harry’s POV

Once I had pulled up into the driveway, I parked my car in my normal spot at the side and took out the keys. I grabbed my bag, and then opened up my car door and walked up the driveway to the front door. I put the spare key I was given into the lock and opened it. As I walked inside, I put my keys back in my pocket and slipped of my shoes as I closed the door shut behind me and locked it.

“Harry?” I heard my aunt call.

“Yeah, it’s me,” I assured her.

She’s always been pretty superstitious of someone breaking into the house and things like that, she’s pretty paranoid sometimes. I set my hockey bag down on the couch as I walked into the kitchen where she was.

“Did you eat already? If not, I can make you something?” she asked once she saw me walking in.

“I ate already, we went to that all-you-can-eat buffet near the rink,” I explained to her.

“Fun. I think Ben and I went there once,” she told me and I just nodded.

“Where is Ben anyway?” I asked.

“He fell asleep awhile ago, he was trying to stay up to wait for you, but he soon crashed on the couch so I took him to his room,” she informed me.

Ben was my little five year old cousin, and almost every night that I’m out he tries to stay up and wait for me to get home, he usually falls asleep before I get home though. I’ve been living with Ben and my aunt since I arrived to America. My parents couldn’t or afford to fly us to a different country along with our belongings, plus it was going to be too much stress for them to do that and find a house for us and good school for my sister to go to in such short time notice. Even if they did have the money and time, I doubt they’d still want to move out here, and I guess I can’t really blame them for not wanting to move to a different country and live their lives a different way just for me and my hockey.

My aunt was the only relative I had out here, and we were lucky we even had one relative that lived in America. My aunt gladly opened her doors to me, and her saying she was only fifteen minutes from the rink made my dad even more okay with the decision.

My aunt was pretty ecstatic when she found out that I would be temporally living with her, and I first I wasn’t sure why. We’ve only gone out to visit her one or two times, and she came to visit us a few times, but I never really got close. I later found out that her husband had passed away a few months after Ben was born. I’m sure I had known that at some point, but I never really remembered because I’d hardly ever seen him.

My aunt was happy I was coming though because she wanted her son to have a well brought up male role model in his life. She told me that when I first arrived here, and it seemed like a lot of pressure at the moment. Then she added that he doesn’t have a lot of friends either, so I really just needed to be a friend to him, and be someone for him to talk to about things.

She told me also just to be myself and don’t cuss and the whole roe model thing should just fall into place. That made a feel a bit better, just being myself, I could do that. I’ve become pretty close with Ben so far throughout the short amount of time I’ve been here so far. Right now we’re basically each other’s only friend. Even though we’re related and have a pretty big ago difference, I still consider him as my friend, and I think he thinks the same thing.

“Well I think I’m going to go get ready for bed, I’m pretty knackered,” I said and got up from the barstool I had been sitting on.

“American please, Harry,” my aunt told me.