Chapter 57

Chapter 57

Gabrielle’s POV

After I had spent awhile of just lying on the couch in my living room, I heard my phone ringing from the coffee table where I had placed it, and I sat up to grab it. I saw that it was Harry calling and I hadn’t even realized that he was back from practice until now.

“Hello?” I said into the phone, I wondered why I said it as a question since I already knew who it was.

“Hey,” I heard Harry say to me.

“Hey,” I said back to him, redeeming myself of the original greeting I had given him that I didn’t really count.

“You okay?” he asked me after a few moments had passed.

“I think so,” I said, “I guess I’m still just letting everything that happened sink in still,”

“I completely agree. Have you heard anything from your dad?” he asked me.

“No, and I can’t decide if I want to hear anything from him or not,” I told him.

“What do you mean?”

I went on to explain to him the battle I was having with myself in my head of something that I couldn’t control. I explained to him how I wasn’t sure if I wanted him to find out today, but I knew he was at some point so might as well make it be today so I’m at least somewhat prepared for it.

“I think you should just stop thinking about it then if it is bothering you so much,” he said like it was easy.

“You think I would if I could,” I told him, earning a slight chuckle from him that I wasn’t really aiming for.

“So how was the car ride home with Bella?” he asked me, changing the subject to a different part of my day, still involving the same situation.

“I think Bella’s mom is going to tell my dad,” I answered.

“So Bella told her mom?” he clarified.

“You better believe she did, the first thing out of her mouth was “Gabi has been lying to me” and then her mom made both of us explain. Bella is furious at me,” I explained to him, not wanting to go into further detail about the car ride home since I’d rather not relive every part of this day.

Especially the part that may lead to my dad finding out.

“So is there anything else you want to tell me or say about today? Because I have all the time you need to listen to you if you need to rant out anything,” Harry offered with a halfhearted laugh.

“I think I’m good for now, I’m not really ready to be furious enough to the point where I want to ramble on about everything, I just want to forget it all right now,” I told him. I figured he had nodded in response after a few moments had gone by of him not say anything else, him forgetting that I couldn’t see him right now, I could only hear him.

“I know you want to forget everything about today, but I was just wondering what Zack said to you when you were walking out,” Harry asked me.

“I don’t even remember,” I lied.

I then sighed to make it seem like I was trying to think about what he had said to me when I really wasn’t. I hadn’t even given myself any time to think before I just straight up told Harry that I didn’t remember. I guess I just figured that was the best thing to say now so I fi ever wanted to tell him, I could just tell him that I remembered instead of already telling him.

Zack had told me that I needed to stay away from Harry, and I knew that that really didn’t mean anything, I hoped, it was just some stupid threat he said to scare. Whereas I believed that it was an attempt to scare me or something, I guess I was worried that Harry would take it as he meant it seriously.

I wasn’t sure why I was stressing myself out over this because it really was not that big of a deal. My mind was just all over the place today so I was just having trouble thinking straight I assumed. I was making everything a bigger deal then it really was since so much has happened today and I’m only assuming the worst is going to happen.

“Okay,” Harry said like he accepted the fact that I didn’t remember.

I knew he was wishing that I would remember and that I would tell him more about what happened with me today, but thankfully he wasn’t going to pressure me into it right now. He still hadn’t told me anything about his day, but them again I never even asked him. He had just been asking me about my day and how certain events played out and everything.

“So what happened with you today?” I finally asked him.

“Well to start off my day, I go into the locker room and everyone is already there and by the looks on their faces when I walked in, it was obvious that coach had told them everything already,” Harry began.

He then told me about a stupid comment one of the guys had made once he had walked into the locker room, something about the guy asking if they were going to continue talking about Harry. After that it was just when he went into the rink, and I was already there for that since most of what occurred in the rink was happening to me.

We then took a brief moment to discuss the renovations that were done. That was probably my favorite conversation I’ve had today. It was nice to actually talk about something normal and not the chaos that has occurred today. Instead we had a few minutes devoted to talking about something most people from the rink were talking about today since it’s why the rink has been closed for so long.

Once that leisure time was over, Harry told me about how once practice had started for him, the guys on the team, mostly Zack though, kept knocking him down onto the ice and purposely shoving him to where he would end up hitting the border of the rink.

To make it even worse, coach acted like he didn’t even see it, and doesn’t say anything about it, and then after practice coach acted all nice to him which by the way that Harry had described what he said to him, him being nice was totally fake.

Harry’s guess to why he had all the sudden started acting nice as Harry was leaving was because of his aunt, since him and Harry’s aunt are dating and everything. I agreed with him since it seemed to be the only logical reason.

“So does anyone even know how coach found out?” I asked, I wasn’t sure if his coach was going to tell people that he was at Harry’s aunt’s house when he found out. I wasn’t sure if that was even a big deal for him to tell or not.

“No one knows. People are just going to be so shocked when they find out that they aren’t going to care where he got the information from, that’s what happened today with the rest of the guys,” Harry told me, and I had a feeling that was going to be his response, that coach hadn’t told anyone.

“I wish I knew if there was a reason or something that he maybe didn’t want people to know, or if he just forgot to mention it or didn’t think it was important to say but would tell someone if they asked,” I wondered out loud.

“I have no idea. I wanted to tell everyone the way he found out, but I wasn’t sure if people would even care or not,” Harry said back.

“I guess it’s up to you to find out if you want to,” I told him.

“Why is it up to me?” he asked me.

“Well he is your coach, and he’s at your house at lot with your aunt,” I told him like it was obvious, because it was.

“Oh,” he said, like he had forgotten that major detail.

We continued to talk for a bit longer, doing our best to talk about anything else besides today, and we were doing a pretty good job.

“I think should probably go now, my dad should be home soon,” I said to Harry after a few more minutes had passed.

“Okay,” he said,

“Good luck,” he added.

I mumbled a “thank you” to him, and then brought the phone away from my ear to hang up. I checked the time again and then I felt my stomach growl and I realized that I really hadn’t eaten anything since I’d gotten home.

I got up from the couch and went into the kitchen to get myself something to eat and wait for my dad to come home.