Chapter 58

Chapter 58

Harry’s POV

Once I had finished talking to Gabrielle on the phone, it was already starting to get a bit late, so I left my room to head to the kitchen since my aunt should be started on dinner by now.

As I was walking out of my room and towards the kitchen, I heard voices coming from the kitchen, so I just figured that I was my aunt talking to Ben or something. When I walked into the kitchen though, I was surprised to see that it wasn’t Ben my aunt was talking to, but my coach. I slowly walked into the kitchen and it wasn’t until I sat down at the counter next to Ben that they noticed me.

“Hello Harry,” coach said to me.

“Hey,” I said back, adding a slight harsh tone to my voice.

“We missed you at the buffet today,” he told me.

“You knew I wasn’t going, I told you,” I said to him.

“Doesn’t mean I couldn’t have hoped that you would change your mind and show up,” he smiled.

“Well I didn’t,” I said, probably a bit more harsh than I should’ve considering that my aunt was here right now and I should at least try to be nice for her sake.

“Harry can I speak to you for a minute,” my aunt said, and I nodded.

Just as I thought she was already going to call me out on being rude to him and I was going to get a lecture from her about how she didn’t care if I was mad at him right now, I needed to be polite to him and set a good example for Ben. I followed her out of the kitchen and into the living room.

I prayed that coach wouldn’t say anything to Ben since it was just the two of them in there, God knows what coach may say to him to get Ben been to hate me too. I guess that he probably wouldn’t do that, but I’m at the point where I don’t doubt anything that that man will do.

“You invited him?” I stated more then asked since it was obvious that he was here for dinner but I wasn’t positive that she had asked him to come over, but I guess it was my first instinct.

“He asked to come over for dinner and I let him. Now Harry, I understand that you are upset about today’s events, but I need you to just let it go, just for tonight. You need to be polite and cut the harsh tone because I don’t appreciate it and I’d rather not have a fight start between you two tonight, you both are acting like children,” she scolded me.

“If we are both acting like children then why aren’t you having this talk with him instead of me?”

“Because he is at least being nice while you are being rude to him,” she fired back.

“It is an act, he’s being nice as an act,” I told her.

“I don’t care, at least he isn’t trying to cause a scene with Ben here, he doesn’t need to see the tension between you two, Ben doesn’t need to worry about or be involved in this,” she told me,

“And you telling Ben about the feud has gotten him interested in all this, and I don’t want him to be. So I want you to behave and be on your best behavior tonight, no matter how furious you are at him,” she continued to scold me and I felt like I was a five year old who was acting up at some important event or something.

I nodded, letting her know that I understood what she told me, and then the two of us walked back into the kitchen. I still couldn’t believe that she let him come over for dinner when she knew that I was angry with him. She should’ve had at least some sense to know that this probably wasn’t going to turn out will since I was so mad at him for basically ruining a part of my life and reputation.

I would however try my best to do as she asked and be nice to him. If worse comes to worse and I couldn’t manage to do anything but talk back him, I would just not say anything at all, I think that seemed like the best option for everyone here.

When we got back into the kitchen, my aunt went back to preparing dinner at the stove, and I say back down next to Ben. From the looks of it, I think she was making steaks for dinner. I couldn’t tell for sure but I knew it was a form of meat. As far as talking to coach went, I really didn’t have anything to worry about because the whole time that my aunt was cooking, he was just talking to her.

Ben and I just sat quietly at the counter since neither of them were talking to us or joining us in the conversation. I didn’t really care if they were talking to me or not, but I could tell that Ben was getting bored. It wasn’t very easy to say anything to Ben right now, so I came up with an idea to get out of this kitchen for now.

“Ben and I are going to go to the living room,” I announced, this was news to Ben, but I didn’t think he’d mind.

“Okay, I’ll call you in when dinner is ready,” my aunt said and then went back to listening to what coach was saying to her.

I really didn’t get why Ben hadn’t just stayed in the living room in the first place. I guess he just went into the kitchen before coach showed up since Ben and I usually sit with my aunt and talk to her as she cooked, but she had someone else to talk to now.

“I figured we could both get out of the kitchen for awhile,” I said to Ben once we were both in the living room.

“Yeah,” Ben said as we both sat down on the couch, “I like him, but he never really talks to me, and when he does he treats me like I’m two years old,” he added.

“I used to think he was okay, but he’s just been on my nervous lately,” I said, and then I realized that I probably shouldn’t have said that since my aunt didn’t want him to get curious about it all and possibly end up not liking coach at all.

“What all did he do?” Ben asked me, and I knew he was getting curious.

“Nothing you need to worry about,” I told him as I ruffled his hair a bit. I could tell he really wanted to know, but he didn’t say anything else.

We soon decided to turn the TV on, and Ben went through a few channels before finally settling on one of his regular little kid shows.

As I watched the ridiculous characters on the screen, I remembered all the shows I used to watch when I was Ben’s ago and how much cooler they were then the stupid shows that are on now. No matter what TV show’s were on though, I wished that I could just go back to being Ben’s age when everything was much more simpler. When the only problem I had was figuring out which stuffed animal I wanted, or which train set seemed cooler.

I missed when stress didn’t exist for me, and I could make my own imaginary world wherever I was and everything was always just so fascinating. I hoped Ben would cherish the time he has at his age, because before you know it, over ten years has gone by and all the fascination and imagination has been replaced with stress and judgmental people.