Chapter 75

Chapter 75

Gabrielle’s POV

After about an hour of waiting outside of my house, I was beginning to get restless and I couldn’t take waiting out here anymore. I knew that any entrance I could use to get into the house was locked, but it would make me feel better if I was positive that I couldn’t get into the house. I didn’t want to be stuck waiting out here when there was a window or something that was unlocked the whole time.

I got up from the step where I was sitting on the porch, and wrapped my hoodie tighter around me as I walked around the house to the first window. I took my hands out of my jacket pockets, and pressed them against the freezing metal and tried to push the window up, but of course that one was locked. I walked over to the next window and tried to push up to open it, but just like I thought, it wouldn’t budge. I sighed and then walked over to the other side of the house where the next window was.

After I had tried to open two more windows only to have them me locked, I just wanted to give up and go sit back on the porch instead of standing out in the open in the cold air. I knew if I went back to the porch though I would just sit and wonder if any of the windows that I hadn’t tried were unlocked or not. I zipped my hoodie as far up as I could and then began to find the next window.

I realized that I had tried to open all the ones on this side of the house, so I opened the door of the fence so I could get into the backyard. After constantly nagging my dad about needing to get a lock for the fence, I was now actually grateful that he hadn’t gotten one put on yet. Although I knew that I most likely wasn’t going to be able to get in from anywhere in the backyard, it still made me feel better that I was at least able to try.

There was only two windows back here that I could reach. There were of course more windows that could possibly be unlocked, but there was no possible way I could even attempt to open them since they were on the second floor of the house.

I walked over to the back door and tried to slide it open, but to no surprise it wasn’t going to open. I knew that the door was going to be locked though because since we didn’t have a lock on the fence I always made sure that the back door was locked, but I of course needed to at least try.

I walked over to the other side of the backyard where there was another door in the fence to leave the back yard and go back to the front yard. I tried to open the last few windows and then after to no shock discovering that they were all locked, I walked back over to the porch and sat down in front of the front door and continued to wait for my dad to get home.

I was thinking about maybe calling Harry right now since he may be finished with whatever it was that he was in a hurry to get to, but I was still kind of mad at him for the drive back to my house. I knew that I really didn’t have that big of a reason to be mad at him, but I was.

I was upset that he didn’t seem to be listening to me when I was trying to talk to him about something that was really starting to affect me lately. I was also bothered by the fact that he wasn’t really trying with the advice that he was giving me; he wasn’t giving it much thought. He was just telling me what was working for him and when I told him that that didn’t work for me, he just ignored that and didn’t try to help me come up with any ways to make this any easier for me.

Then to top it all off he was in such a rush to get to where he wanted to be that he just dropped me off and left. He didn’t kiss me goodbye and he didn’t wait to make sure I got in the house safely.

I knew the whole waiting thing never really was a big deal, but it was a small thing that he did that just made me smile and made me feel like he really cared about me. The one time he doesn’t do that though, and here I am without a key to my house, waiting outside on my porch in the cold.

Another reason that I didn’t want to call Harry was because I knew that I needed to confront my dad about all this at some point and I knew if I called Harry and he wasn’t busy or anything, I was just going to have him take me away from my house to avoid having to see my dad. So I just sucked it up and thought about what I might say to my dad as I wrapped my arms around myself as I scooted back into the corner of my porch and just continued to wait for him to come home.

I knew thinking about what I was going to say to him though was pointless because I knew that I was going to forget everything that I had planned out to say in my head the moment that he came home. Plus he probably wasn’t even going to give me a chance to speak; he was most likely just going to continue on his rant and yelling at me since he didn’t get to finish last night considering that I had walked out of the house.

After waiting awhile longer on the porch, I was pretty sure that another hour or so had passed by now. Actually I was positive since I had basically sat and stared at the time on my phone since it was the only thing I had to occupy myself right now, even though it was pretty boring.

I had tried to play some games on my phone or something like that, but my hands were freezing when I look them out of my pocket to hold the phone, so instead I pulled my knees up to my chest and set my phone down next to me, taking my hand out of my pocket every few minutes to press the button to show me the time on the lock screen and then I’d it and stare at it until I went black again.

So I was now not only cold, but I was overcome with boredom, and then to top all that off, a few of my neighbors came outside to get the mail or take their trash cans back inside if they were still out of the curb. That may just sound normal, but most of them saw me sitting out on my porch when they came outside, and I knew that they were thinking that I was an idiot for sitting out on my porch right now especially in this weather, they probably thought I was an idiot right now anyway no matter what the weather was.

What bothered me though was that they gave me a weird look and then went on with their lives instead of maybe coming over to the porch and making sure that everything was okay considering that it probably wasn’t it I was sitting outside right now. I knew there really wasn’t much that they could do, but it’d at least make me feel better knowing that maybe someone actually cared, but of course no one did. So I just continued to sit out on the porch and anxiously wait for my dad to come home.