Chapter Twenty-nine

Enoch's P

Enoch's P.O.V

"Ok, I can't wait any longer. I'm going to open it."

Eden and I had walked back through the cairn and into 1940, but when we arrived into the garden the children's home, she stopped. I nodded, letting go of her hand as she fumbled with the envelope.

She pulled out the paper inside, holding it like it was made of glass, eyes scanning carefully along the words. I stepped back so she could read in private. Her expression was changing, I kept my eyes locked on her face when her lips pressed together. She seemed to have gotten to the end of the letter, but her eyes had glazed over and her hands had started to tremble vigorously.

"No, no. It's a mistake."

Before I could ask what was the matter, her knees went weak, and she seemed to sway on the spot. I stepped forward, afraid she was going to fall. She continued to tremble, brows knitted and still gripping the letter.

"What's wrong? What does it say?" I asked quickly, but instead of answering, she pushed the paper into my hands. I gave her another quick glance, then began to read.

16 Victoria Street

Belfast City

Belfast

Northern Ireland

Dear Eden,

We are glad you are settling in, and it is good to hear you have made some friends.

However we are sorry to inform you of some bad news. Unfortunately there has been sad accident involving our chauffeur, Samuel.

He was struck down by a unknown vehicle two nights ago, his injuries were fatal. Doctors say, although he had no external wounds, internal bleeding may have caused his death. The driver fled the scene and there was no security cameras in the area, so no arrests have been made as of yet.

We are awfully shocked that this has happened, and thought it was best to inform you, as his wife says you were quite close. His burial service will be preformed tomorrow. Sadly work does not allow us to attend, but I'm sure his family and friends will be thinking of you on Cairnholm. Please continue to take your medication we packed in your bag.

Kind regards,

Sebastian and Florence Moore

It was written so formally, definitely didn't sound like a loving letter from your parents that missed you dearly. Eden had told me stories about Samuel, how he took her out for ice cream when her parents were too busy for her, how he paid for all her dance lessons and music. He was the man who, even as just a chauffeur, took on the role of raising her when her parents couldn't. Or just wouldn't.