Chapter Thirty-four

"Eden? I'm coming in ok?"

A raspy noise left my throat. I wasn't sure what I meant by it. I was sitting against my bedroom wall, knees tucked up to my chest, face buried in a pillow I was resting on my legs. I liked how it muffled almost everything, including the sound of my breathing. I did hear the door click closed after Olive came in.

I knew I looked terrible, so I was going to keep my face pressed into this pillow for as long as I could. I wasn't crying, seemed I'd ran out of tears for the moment.

"Are you ok?" She asked, voice higher pitched than usual.

"Did Miss Peregrine send you up?" I replied with a question, still unsure if she'd hear me. I wasn't going to answer her question until she answered mine.

"No."

"Don't lie."

Olive exhaled through her nose. "I would've come up anyway." I decided to lift my face from the pillow.

"She's worried about you Eden." Olive did look sincere about what she was saying, like it was her own opinion as much as Miss Peregrine's.

I would've loved to say I was too. Of course, those weren't the words that left my lips.

"Well she shouldn't be." I muttered venomously. "I'm fine."

Those two words could ruin a life. It wasn't even a small lie, it was a huge label you stuck on your life, that allowed people to dismiss you as another happy citizen. I knew how wrong it was, yet I refused to say anything else.

Olive seemed taken aback by my bitterness. I was too. She stood up from her seat on the bed. I gazed at her as she reached for the door handle, looking back at me before she exited.

"Do you remember when I told you about Abe Portman?" I nodded in response. He never seemed like a man I wanted to meet, leaving Emma all alone like that.

"Well, his grandson arrived here a couple days ago. Miss Peregrine wants us to go and get him tomorrow. You can come if you like." The corner of her mouth twitched, then she left.

This boy must be peculiar from the sounds of it, and from my time too. The chance at a fresh start with someone intrigued me. I should ask him if anything had changed. I grabbed the book on ancient peculiars from my nightstand, opening it only to stare blankly at the jumble of words.

Enoch's P.O.V

"Millard, I need to ask you something."

I'd went to find him in the parlour, surrounded by thick leather bound books as usual. The boy closed his journal he had been scribbling in, and balanced it on the edge of the armchair, his floating hat tilting up in my direction.

"Go on then." His disembodied voice said.

"I want to know how a peculiarity can take over a peculiar's mind, and how to fix it."