Chapter Thirty-one

"Eden-"

"That's me."

"This is- a surprise."

"Is it?"

My parents looked the same as when I left, my mother's hair was just as obnoxiously blonde, and my father's thick rimmed glasses still made him look like a school teacher.

"Why are you here? Did Miss Peregrine allow you to leave?" Asks my mother, setting down her handbag on the floor

"Why are you here? Did Miss Peregrine allow you to leave?" Asks my mother, setting down her handbag on the floor. It didn't surprise me that neither of them showed any joy in seeing their daughter for the first time in a month, not even a smile.

"I'm going to the funeral. We are going to the funeral." I replied bluntly, turning to look at Enoch behind me.

"I see." My mother said, she sounded rather unimpressed with my appearance.

"And who is this?" Said my father, nodding towards Enoch, then crossing his arms over his chest, making his suit crinkle. This was his signature action when he was trying to look intimidating.

I walked down the remaining steps before answering, so I was level with my parents. Enoch followed closely behind. I probably should be worried about them liking him, but I really wasn't. It's not like I cared about their opinions on whom I had a romantic interest in.

"This is Enoch. My-" I glanced at him quickly before finishing the sentence. "Boyfriend."

The two evidently were trying to hide their surprise, and most likely objections. It was the first time I'd ever acknowledged Enoch as that, to my parents nonetheless. Enoch took a step towards my father, and stretched out his left hand, his right still stuck in his trouser pocket.

My father simply looked him up and down, his top lip moved slightly, then he shook his hand quickly. As soon as he pulled his hand away, I saw him wipe it not-so-discreetly on his trousers. He then checked his too-big digital watch, and pulled his phone out of his pocket, turning to my mother.

"Missed call from Markus." With that, he raised his phone to his ear and walked through the door to the dining room. Enoch looked far from comfortable.