The Broken Child

It was nice to have Yuri back, I thought I would get better. I had been clinging onto the edge of a cliff when I was finishing school, and was lossing my grip as I started questioning my future. I thoight with him back I vould use him to at least pull me up so I was dranding at the edge. I had regained some strength, but it was too easily broken. We were about to find out what that was.

Recently I havw been havinf terrible headaches. Well its actually been spanning over years, and we've been trying to figure out what has been causeing it. My already terrible eye sight has also been gettunf worse, and the steady rate has started to increase. A week or so ago I got a brain scan done, rhinking I could have some brain damage, probably from the terrible skating accident that took me out of competeing two years ago, or is it three now.

My mom and I were quietly waiting on the doctors office to hear the results if the brain scan. We both turned our attention to the opening door. In came the doctor, and some one else we have never seen before. By the ID we could only assume they were a specialist for something.

"Hello Akira, and Mrs. Katsuki," her tone put me on edge. I vould hear the pitty. It was something bad, something really bad. I clenched my pants, felling my tails piercing through it. "Its good to see you again." She flinched at her wording. It sucked being so observant, I wanted to be lioe my mom, who was smiling brightly and our family's doctor. "I hear Yuri is back," she's a fan a figure skating, and knows Yuri and I are related, obviously.

"We are all happy to have him home," my mom reasponded with joy in her voice. I was jealous of that emotion as it was harder and harder for me to find.

"Can we just get to it," I snapped, surprisinf all of them. It was then they noticed how ridgid I was, and how close I was to crying. "What's wrong with me?" Besides my mental state, but we all werw aware of that, and doing what we can to help. I was talking about the new problem.

Our doctor sighed, defeated. They pulled something up on the computer, and turned the screen to show us. They started pointing out the abnormalies on my scan, besides for the lack of happy chemicals. "What dose all that mean?" my mother asked, neither of us understood what any of it meant.

"The damage on your obtical love is quite substantial, and I'm surprised we have noticed this sooner, or let alone you have. The affects are raging a while to show, as this is obviously caused by the accident three years ago," she was obviously stalling for time. The tears sratted leaking from my eyes made her hury up. "You're going blind." I don't know if that is when I fell, but I did at least lose my grip, barely hanging on.

"What?" my mother asked in disbelief. I had the same feeling running through me as I stared at the ground. "Is there anything we can do about it?"

"I'm affraid not, there is no way to reverse the damage," she said, her head also angling to the sport I was looking at. "We doubt you will go completely blind, and still be able to see blurry shapes and colors, but the damage should take full effect by the end of the year. We don't know though, the brain is still a mystery to us, we are only assuming." I already had doubts about my future, now this only feed me more to dwell on. A sorrow filled silence echoed aroind the room. "This is Doctor Amari, he specializes is vision impairment."

"Its nice to meet you," the man bowed to us, showing us respect, "I have an idea on how to proceed, but I want to answer any questions you have first." My mom statted spewing out questions, coving everythong that was running through her head. The man seemed to not mind this though, must be used to it. "Do you have any questions Akira?" he finally vrought his attention to me, cutring off my mom.

I had a few things I was wondering about, I just needed to bring my left to ask them."Should I continue to wear my glasses?" I asked him, starting with the least personal question.

"You can, they should be able to help you for at least a couple months," he told me, his voice was gentle, "But if you ahve a head ache you should rake them off, you could straining your eyes. It might also be nice to be able to practice doing simple tasks with impaired vision."

I was having a few more questions come to mind, but only two were dire to me. Im sure he would let us ask more before we leave. "Will I still be able to read and write, or will I need to learn brail?" I actually wanted to learn brail at one point, but more our of curiosity, nor necessity.

"We won't know until the comes, but learning braiding won't hurt," he told me. I could tell there was a soft smile on his face, but I was too engrossed into the ground to care.

The finally questioned seemed like the last bit of strength that was keeping me from falling. "Will I still be able to skate and make music?" I asked, mg voice hitched as I held back tears.

"That is entirely up to you," he had a bot of encouragement in his voice. "Yes they will be hard, and their will be changes, but they should still be soemthing you can do." The two doctors the. started talkinf about our plan movong forward. They wanted me to get a cane and steal having me use it, even around the house. They also wanted to raise my dosage of antidepressants, and start seeong my therapist again, fear in what this chaneg would do to me psychologically, and rightly so. I was against therapy, it didn't seem to help, they agreed, knowing it did nothing, but I needed to promise to talk to someone if I'm getting to the point of no return.

Here's the thing, I had past it in that doctors office. I had fallen back into the pit, and could see myself finding a way back out. "Can you not tell anyone?" I asked my as we got into the car, "You can tell dad, but I don't want to tell anyone else until I nees to." I just didn't want to be coddled more so than I already was.

"Alright honey," she sighed agreeing. "But you have to tell Mari, it doesn't need to be today, but within the week." I tore my head away from the window to glare at my mom. "I don't want something to happen to you. I want to help, but I know I can't do it as well as Mari dose. If you don't tell her I'm going to. I don't want you to struggle alone." I could get where she was coming from. I hurt me seeing others in pain they don't deserve. It felt like I deserved this pain though.