•When He Cries•

-Lance's pov-

Mamá would leave for work, just leaving me and my papá.

Papá would start to drink... and drink... and drink... Sometimes he would get violent and threaten or actually attempt to hit my siblings. I hated that. I would step in the way of his punches, acting like a shield to protect them.

I was never really popular at school. Sure, I had some cliques, but they would soon get sick of me slowly shun me out. I think I'd make more friends if I went out and hung out with them more, but instead, I hide in my bedroom.

Everyday's the same... new bruises, new cuts, lose friends... run upstairs and try to avoid my pápa. Cry in the bathroom for hours. Attempt doing homework. Mamá comes home so we sit down and have an awkward meal.

- - - - - - -

It feels like an ordinary day. I roll off my bed, take a quick five minute shower, change into clothes, and walk down stairs to eat with my 'normal' family.

I walk into the dinning room with my head down and sit between my hermano and hermana. My older brother, Leo, sets a plate in front of me and my older sister, Sophia, lets out an awkward cough. I look up at them to ask what's wrong, but I see my mamá, Leo, Sophia, and my little brother James in front of a birthday cake that has the two big number saying 16.

Tears spark in my eyes, but I can't seem to smile.

"Blow out the candles!" James encourages.

I inhale, think of a wish, and blow out the flames.

"What was your wish, hijo?" Mamá asks.

"For it to stop."

Little do they know, that that's the last birthday they'll spend with him.

- - - - - - -

"Lance, come on we're going to be late if you don't hurry up!" James whines, banging on the bathroom door.

"I'm coming, gremlin! Just give me a sec!" I yell back to him and chuckle at my little brothers eagerness to leave for church.

My smile falls as I turn back to the mirror and resume plastering makeup to my bruised face. The marks are a angry dark purple and there's stained blood spots.

More knocks pound on the bathroom door, "I'm coming! I told you to just give me a few more minutes!" I yell, a little agitated by how loud the knocks sounded.

"Lance, get your ass down here before I drag you out myself! Your mother and siblings is waiting in the car for you so hurry the fuck up!" I flinch from my fathers yelling and slurs. 

I throw the door open and run down to the car to go to church.

Once we are at the parish and sit in a long pew, we all kneel down to 'say hello to God' at least that's what my Abuela would call it before she passed on.

Hello God-err-you know I'm not good at talking to you and stuff, but I'm still going to try. Ya know how my life's been kinda rough and I was just wondering if you can maybe help me make it better? I understand that it might be to much to ask, but I would dearly appreciate it if you could answer this. Anyway... thank you for listening. Amen.

Little did Lance know that his pray will be answered when he gets excepted to the Garrison and from the help of five humans and two aliens.