•friENDS•

-Lance's pov-

"Pidge, I want you to get into that Galra base so you can get the information about finding your father and brother. The base is highly supervised by Galra soldiers so you'll need to go undetected by using your cloaking on your lion. Hunk, you help Pidge through the base by telling her what hallways seem the safest. The rest of us will watch for anyone docking ships. Got it? Lance-were you even listening?" Shiro orders, but scolds me at the end.

"Ah-of course I was! Pidge gets the info, Hunk tells her what way to go and Keith, you and I will look out for any Galra. See, I was listening!" I try to defend myself, but I only get a skeptical look from Shiro and a "Tch" from Keith.

I sigh and stay silent.

"Lets do this!" Pidge yells. We all to get into our armor and run to our lion's hangers.

I sit in Blue's cockpit and start her up. "Hey girl, miss me? It's been awhile since we had a mission, huh? Let's try our hardest out there today! Show 'em what the Blue team can do!" Blue roars in agreement and we fly into our positions.

Soon, a Galra fleet arrive and start firing at us. Hunk rolls Yellow on her back so Shiro, Keith and I can blast them while Hunk uses Yellow's stone hard back as a shield.

"You doin' ok there, buddy?" I ask Hunk.

"I'm doing just fine! I need to go and help Pidge soon though. You'll have to watch out for yourselves in a minute." He informs us.

We all nod and position ourselves for better defensives. Hunk rolls Yellow back to her up-right form and flies her to a safer area where he can inform Pidge where to go.

The three of us fire at the Galran ships, hitting everyone of them. We stop for a moment to recharge, but I don't think anyone saw one of the big Galra ship loading up a blast pointed at the Black lion except for Keith.

"SHIRO, LOOK OUT!" The Red paladin shouts.

Keith steers Red to push our leader out of the way, but he's going to slow. He's to far away from us to reach him in time to get him out of the aim of the blast... but I'm not.

I can do this. And if I can't, I have to.

I push Blue forward, smashing into the Black lion and electric waves strike my body. Making me jerk and scream into the coms.

"LANCE!" I hear everyone call.

I try to respond that I'm fine, but everything turns into darkness.

- - - - - - -

I fall out of the cryopod into large arms. I try to look up to see who's holding me, but they're pressing my face into their chest, preventing me from moving my head. I'm pretty sure by the smell of them though that it is Hunk. He always smells like something you'll find in the kitchen.

I squeeze them to let him know that I'm ok and he releases me. I gasp for air from the rib crushing hug he had me in and turn to the others to tell them that I'm good and don't need any help with anything. But I don't once I see their glaring faces and cold stares.

"Uhh- wassup guys?" I ask with uncertainty in my voice.

"What the hell was that, Lance?! What were you thinking? Actually-let me rephrase that- you weren't thinking and decided that almost killing yourself was a better idea. You're an idiot, Lance! I didn't think that you could be more of a shithead, but you just proved me wrong!" Keith yells at me.

"Keith, that is enough-" Shiro tries to halt the insults, but gets interrupted by Allura's whisper.

"Why did Blue choose the most idiotic person in the universe?" Allura tries to say to herself, but it was loud enough for me to hear.

My words that were building up get clogged in my throat and tears form in the corners of my eyes. I try to blink them away so my teammates won't see my cry, but I fail miserably.

A couple sobs escape my mouth and I run off to my bedroom to cry.

I don't want them to see how weak I am. They already think I'm pathetic and pitiful...

I jump from the loud knocks that bang on my door. I wait a minute to see if they'll leave, but I can still feel their presence behind the door after awhile.

I sigh and press a button that slides the door open, revealing my 'best friend', Hunk.

"What do you want?" I ask a little coldly.

"I'm was worried about you and wanted to make sure you are ok. I haven't seen you cry for a long time and it kinda freaked me and the others out as well." Hunk answers. His eyes are red like he is about to cry.

"Oh is that so?" I ask sarcastically.

Hunk sighs in frustration, "What's wrong, buddy? You need to tell me so I can help you! And Shiro and Keith are right! You've could've died out there! What were you thinking?" It's unlike Hunk to yell and scream unless it's something he cares about.

"You sound just like Keith! You're taking their side?" I question him.

"This isn't about sides-"

"-I can't believe you! What next, you lock me in my room like a misbehaving child? You didn't even see what was going to happen if I didn't-"

"-YOU COULD HAVE DIED!" In the aftermath of the shout, the silence seems deafening. Hunk takes a step closer, clutching hold of my shoulders. "You could have died," softer. "I nearly lost you. If you want to make this about sides, I'm on whatever side keeps you alive. Can't you see that? How could you do this?" He sounds so sullen.

"I have nothing to lose." I reply with grief in my voice.

"What about me?" Hunk interrogates.

I can't answer that... I can only blink at the Hawaiian in front of me.

I thought I'd do better on my own. No friends. No fights. Just me. Alone... Ever since Hunk and I joined team voltron, it's like we slowly split apart. Pidge and Hunk get better along anyway. It still hurts. I've learned not to depend too much on people because even my shadow leaves me in the dark...

"I'm sorry." I whisper and push my head into the Yellow Paladin's neck.

"Has everything been ok? You've changed since we entered space."

"I haven't changed. I just to tired to hide it." I answer him slowly, think about the words I wanted to say.

Hunk stares at me dumbfounded. Confusion, anger, and sadness run across his face.

I wait for him to yell at me. For him to hate me. For him to pity me... it doesn't come. Instead, the teen pulls me closer to his chest and starts to rub my back in slow circles.

A shaky sob leaves my throat. I grab on to Hunk armored collar and begin to cry loudly into his chest. Hunk hushes me and whispers comforting words in my ears.

"You matter."

"You're a great Paladin!"

"No one can replace you!"

"I really hope we can rebuild our friendship."

I nod in agreement and fall into a deep slumber in my best friends arms.