Chapter 28.

Chapter 28.

Three months. It had been three months. Three months since the Foot fell, and the Purple Dragons found a new leader. Three months since Raph had found Moonlight’s cold and limp body, and had held it in his arms crying out in rage and pain. Three months since her funeral, and three months of pain and heartache, not only for Raph but for everyone else. They had placed her next to her family in the crypt and visited her almost every day. The guys had done their best to comfort Raphael, but his heart was more than broken.

It was three in the morning now and Raph sat alone in his room. He couldn’t sleep. Every night he had the same dream. A dream of Moonlight dying. She called out his name over and over until she was drowned out by her blood. She screamed in pain and yelled with horror. But there was nothing Raph could do. The way he had found her body was bad enough. The hole in her abdomen and the blood coming out of her mouth. It made him shiver just thinking about it.

He looked in the small mirror he had next to his desk. He looked miserable. He hadn’t slept for days and every time tried, his nightmares would continue. There was nothing he could do. The only way he could ever sleep, would be to face his fear. But how?

He walked back over to his hammock but didn’t get in. Instead he walked to his door and out into the hallway. He walked down the hall to Moonlight’s room. He stood in front of the door, a pain building up in his chest, his throat tightening, and eyes burning. No one had stepped foot in the room for three months. He grabbed the door knob and turned it, then pushed to door open slowly. He looked inside and found nothing but darkness. He reached in and turned on the light. He looked over at the bed. The one spot where he slept was still messed up. He never made his bed. He looked over at the closet and saw how some of the clothes were misplaced. A vision of her running around in her room back and forth, grabbing things and stuffing them into a bag, shot through Raph's head. He walked over to the closet and picket up the clothes, and placed them in their right spot.

He walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge. What he would give to just kiss Moonlight one last time. Every time he looked around, something caught his eye. He looked over at the desk and found a book. He got up and walked over to it. Picking it up, he flipped through the cover to the first page, where he found the drawing of him and is brothers taped into place. Above the picture was writing. “My New Family.”

He turned the pages and each page had someone different on it. April, Ana, Nano, Casey, John, Raptarr, Master Splinter, Leo, Donny, Mikey, and Angel all had their separate pictures hand drawn. But Raph was not alone in his picture. He stood with a half ass smile on his face and his arm around Moonlight’s waist. The picture made him smile. When he turned the page again, something fell out of the book. He reached down and picked it up. What fell was a note, folded up. He unfolded it and began to read the note. But it turned out to be a letter. A letter to him:

Dear Raphael,

I still remember the first time you asked me how I could love a freak like you. Even though you are not freak and every time I would have to smack that comment out of you, I kept asking myself the same question. I didn’t know then, but I know now. I love you. It is as simple as that. I guess that might not be good enough. So here it goes.

To tell you how I can love you, I have to tell you my definition of love- Sticking with someone through thick and thin, and being willing to give up your life in a heartbeat, if it means saving them. 

You spent every waking hour with me, and it made me feel wanted. Since I can remember, I have always been on my own, but when your family stepped into light, my whole world changed.