Chapter 14 The Fallen Hero

Chapter 14: The Fallen Hero

After Moonlight and Angle had gone to the ice shop, they headed off to the mall. As they walked around, they both wanted to go into the book store. They stuck together mostly because Angle didn’t want to be alone. They walked down row after row of books, finding ones that they were both interested in. Moonlight had brought money with her and was willing to buy Angle a book if she wanted one. After finding books that they both wanted, they checked out and headed to the coffee shop to start reading and hang out with each other. Angle was starting to realize how relaxed Moonlight could really be. Even though she was several years older than her, they were both a lot alike.

After buying a coffee, Moonlight and Angle sat down at a table and started talking.

“Thanks for going to the meeting.” Angle had said as they sat down.

“No problem. But you need to promise me something.” Moonlight said.

“Of course. Anything.” Angle said back.

“You need to stop lying. You told your principal that I was supposed to be at the base toady. You’re lucky that he doesn’t know that base has been closed for two years.” Moonlight said. Her voice going from a friend, to a mother tone.

“I promise I won’t lie about things.” Angle said looking down at the table. “I just didn’t know what else to do. I don’t know why I did, I just did. I mean, I haven’t lied about other things like that.”

“I trust that you haven’t. Just don’t do it again. But if for some reason you do, and I involves me, tell me, that way I can play along with it better.” Moonlight said catching Angle’s gaze.

“I will.” Angle said smiling.

“So. How was school to-“ Moonlight was cut off by someone yelling.

“Leprechaun!” Came a man’s voice from a few tables down.

Moonlight turned her head around like she had just been called. Then a tall man, dressed in blue jeans, and a blue and green plaid shirt walked over to the table.

“Ranger!” Moonlight said in a happy surprised voice. She jumped up from her chair, and the two hugged each other in a tight bear hug.

“It’s so good to see you. What are you doing up here in New York? I thought you lived in St. Louis?” Moonlight said to the smiling man.

“Buck wanted me to visit him, also Marshall said he wanted to see me. So here I am.” The man said. “You look pretty good Leppy.” He said, playfully punching Moonlight in the shoulder.

“You don’t look so bad yourself.” Moonlight said.

Angle sat in her chair watching the two talk like long time friends. Angle noticed the man had a little scruff on his chin, and his face was bony with high cheek bones. He stood a few inches taller than Moonlight, and was much bigger than she was. When Moonlight saw Angle looking at them, she turned to Angle.

“Angle I would like you to meet a good friend of mine. Ranger.” Moonlight said. “We were in the same unit in the military.” Angle got up from her seat and shook the Ranger’s hand.

“Nice to meet you.” Ranger said.

“She is a good friend of mine.” Moonlight said.

After the three sat back down, they last time in a heavy conversation. They talked and talked, and Angle could see Moonlight smile more and more. After two hours of talking, Ranger’s mood changed from happy to sad.

“What’s wrong?” Moonlight asked.

“I guess you don’t know what happened do you?” Ranger said, sadness taking over in his eyes.

“No. I don’t. What happened?” Moonlight asked.

“Well you know Tobis just as good as I do. You know how he wanted to stay in the military for a little while longer. Well….” Ranger trailed off. “I guess this isn’t the best time to tell you, but he was KIA.”

Moonlight’s heart sank when she heard KIA. It meant killed in action.

“How?” She said in a low voice.

“Jumped in front of a bullet to save a comrade.” He said. “Marshall said that if I run into you before he does, I should tell you to go to his office in Queens and get your uniform if you want to go to Tobis’ funeral. Marshall said Tobis wanted you to play taps if he died and be one of the soldiers to carry him.”

“I-“ Moonlight said looking down. “I would be honored. When is his funeral?”

“Tuesday. Marshall said he was lookin for you for a while but couldn’t find you. That’s why he said if I see you before he does, let you know what happened and tell you what Tobis said.” Ranger said.

“Can you tell Marshall that I will be at his office tomorrow?” Moonlight asked, keeping her head down.

“Yeah. I will be going too. I have to get going. Here take this. We can stay in touch.” Ranger said, handing Moonlight a piece of paper with a phone number on it.

“Thanks. It was good seeing you again.” Moonlight said getting you.

“Yeah. You too.” Ranger said, and they hugged goodbye.

After Ranger left the coffee shop, Moonlight looked back Angle. “I should get you home.” She said with a smile. Trying not to show that she was in pain, but it was not successful.

After taking Angle home, Moonlight headed back to the lair, but was not able to keep it together. She was only a few blocks from the garage when she started crying. She pulled off to the side of the road, and tried to calm herself down. It took her a few minutes then she had the strength to go back to the lair and relax.

Moonlight couldn’t find the strength to keep herself together when Raph asked her what was wrong. She started to cry again, knowing she was letting her walls down. She had to tell Raph about the funeral because it would take all of Tuesday.

After telling everyone what had happened, she went off to bed, even though it was seven at night. She just needed to be alone.