Chapter 12 Broken

Chapter 12: Broken

After Moonlight had cleaned herself up, she went back out into the lair, and back to her room. She was not going back to sleep, but she was going to grab something from her duffle bag. Since she had met the guys, she had barley even touched it. As she entered the room, she creped over to her bag, trying not to wake Raph. She reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle that was buried in the bottom of the bag. It was Heaven Hills Whiskey. She had never opened it. One of her buddies from her unit bought it for her, and told her it was only for emergencies.

She made her way back out to the kitchen, and grabbed a glass. She took a seat at the table and opened the bottle. She poured a little into the bottom of the glass, then drank the liquor. She felt it burn as it went down her throat, then placed the glass back on the table. She was happy that no one was up. Out of all things she could tell the guys about herself, she had not told them, how heavy of a drinker she was, but she could hold liquor. She was not considered an alcoholic, but she could drink a lot, and still act normal and it would have almost no effect on her.   

“I didn’t know you drank.” Came Nobody’s voice. “You want some company?”

Moonlight didn’t answer, she only poured a little more of the whiskey into the glass and offered it to him. He walked over to her and took the glass. He drank what Moonlight had given him, but by the look on his face, his throat hurt.

“Wow. That’s strong” Nobody said as he handed the glass back to Moonlight. He knew he should try and stop her from drinking because she was under age, but looking at the way she was, he knew it would be better to let her be.

She looked almost ghostly. She had dark lines under eyes, no smile, and a darkness filled her eyes. She slouched in her chair, her feet out in front of her outstretched. She leaned back in the chair more, as she drank more of the liquor.

“Yeah. It better be. It’s pure Irish.” She said in a low voice. “Grab a glass, and have a seat.”

Nobody walked over to the counter and grabbed a glass, and walked back over to the table. Moonlight poured him some more and they sat at the table, silently. Nobody had never noticed how well Moonlight had carried herself until she didn’t carry herself with honor and pride. Her shoulder were usually held up high, something she most likely learned from the military. No the hung low.

“Sorry you had to see me like this, I didn’t wake you, did I?” She finally spoke.

“No your fine. You didn’t wake me. I just couldn’t sleep.” He looked at her. “I take it you couldn’t sleep either?” Nobody asked.

“Yeah I couldn’t sleep.” She said drinking what she poured in her glass.

“Raph’s chainsaw keeping you up?” He asked with a smile.

Moonlight smiled and chuckled back, but said nothing.

“What’s wrong?” Nobody asked, not able to see Moonlight in her present state.

“I…” When Moonlight looked up, all she could see was the sight of Nobody hanging with a bag over his head. Moonlight looked back down at the bottle in front of her. “I think I need another drink. Then maybe I might be able to talk about it.”

After downing a half of glass in a few gulps, and getting looks of amazement from Nobody she could finally stop shaking and look at him right.

“So what happened?” He asked.

“I had a night terror.” She said in a low voice looking down at the table. “I haven’t had one for years. Last time I had one was when I was 7.”

“What was it about, if I can ask?” asked as Moonlight offered him more, but he refused. Saying he didn’t want anymore.

“It… It was about you and everyone else.” She said, feeling her nerves go back on high. “Everyone was“ She cut herself off, as tears started streaming down her face. She took in another shaking breath. She ditched her glass completely and just grabbed the bottle. She downed several mouthfuls of whiskey.

“Dead” Nobody finished.

Moonlight shook her head yes. Nobody saw her whole demeanor change. She broke down, and cried. The first Nobody had ever seen her cry like this. From the way she held the bottle, and drank the whiskey, told Nobody that she had done this before, many time before. But she only lasted like this for a minute. She whipped away the tears, took deep breaths, and calmed herself down.

“It’s all alright. Everyone is still here. We are not going anywhere.” He said trying to reassure her he grabbed her hand. She looked him in the eye, and saw her search for something. But she then looked away and down at the bottle. She took another drink and then put the cap back on the bottle and put it down on the table

“How can you drink that?” He asked with a chuckle in his voice.

“I am mostly Irish. And trust me when I say, the Irish can hold their liquor.” She said with a smile, the light coming back to her eyes, but there was still a darkness. He let go of her hand and leaned back in his chair.

“Well, it was pretty good.” He said.

The two sat in more silence for a while, and Nobody could start to feel his eyes drooping.

“You can go back to bed. I have had my fill of whiskey for tonight.” Moonlight said with a smile.

“I think I will then.” Nobody said his goodnight and gave Moonlight a hug, then went back to bed. But as he walked back to Leo’s room, he knew that something had changed Moonlight. Something had broken her.