Chapter 20 Mess

Chapter 20. Mess

Moonlight walked into the lair after staying out for a few more hours. When she walked into the lair, the clock on her phone read 1 am. She had turned her phone off because she didn’t want to talk to anyone. She had six missed calls from Raph, three from Leo, three from Mikey, four from Donny, and five from April and Ana. The lair was quiet, with all the lights off. She walked into the lair and sat down on the couch. She grabbed a bottle of pills from her bag and held them in her hand.

She turned on a light next to her so she could see. Her nerves were still on end. Her hands were shaking and her heart was racing. She didn’t want to face Raph, she didn’t know what would be said, and she didn’t want to think about it. She leaned forward feeling her stomach turn back and forth. She took deep breaths to try and calm herself down. Feeling tired, she stood up and turned around to go to bed.

Her eyes locked on the sight of Mikey, his eyes a lighter blue, indicating he was either tired or had just cried.

“I thought you were gone for good.” He said, his voice shaking. He ran up to her, nearly knocking her over when he held her in his arms. Moonlight tried to move, but all of the turtles were much stronger than her when it came to a hug. “You didn’t answer your phone, or called back. I was so worried that you had left.” He whispered in her ear, squeezing her tighter.

“I could never leave you.” Moonlight said, placing her right hand on the back of his head, trying to comfort him as best she could. “I’m not going anywhere. I just needed to clear my head.”

“Are you ok now?” He asked.

“Yeah.” Moonlight said, feeling the tears in her eyes gathering, her eyes stinging. “I’m fine now.” She lied.

After holding each other for a little while longer, Moonlight pulled back. There were a few tears running down Mikey’s light green face. She placed her hands on the sides of his face and using her thumb, whipped the tears away.

“That’s better.” She said quietly. “I thought ninjas didn’t cry?”

“Sometimes we do.” Mikey said with a little laugh. “I heard Raph cry a little when you left and didn’t come back for a while.”

“Hm. Raph? Crying?” Moonlight asked, a little humor in her voice.

“Yeah.” Mikey said. After walking Mikey back to his room, Moonlight headed for her own. She was going to see Raph in the morning. She was not strong enough right now.

When she reached her room and opened the door, she was nearly knocked over by something. It squeezed her tighter than Mikey, and its breath more ragged than Moonlight’s. When she turned her body a little and her neck, she saw the dark green skin of Raph. He held her tight and wouldn’t let go. But before Moonlight could do anything, her breath grew shaky and she began to cry. She wrapped her arms around the back of Raph’s neck, and pulled him down close. She held him tighter than he held her.

“I’m sorry.” Moonlight whispered. “I got angry.”

“Don’t say you’re sorry. I shouldn’t have said what I did.” Raph said, his voice shaking. “I’m the one who should be sorry.”

Not knowing what else to say she pulled back and kissed him, pushing herself closer to him. After what seemed like forever, they separated a few inches and looked at each other in the eyes. Unspoken words traveling through the air. There didn’t need to be words, there just needed to be love.

“You’re not angry anymore?” Raph asked his eyes showing pain and sorrow.

“How can I stay made at you?” Moonlight asked placing her head on his chest. “It’s impossible.”

Without warning, Raph lifter Moonlight up in his arms and carried her over to the bed. He laid her down and bent over the edge of the bed to kiss her again. Her legs were hanging over the side, as Raph (still standing) bent his body over hers and grabbed for her hands. They laced their fingers together best they could. Moonlight separated her pointer and middle finger from her ring and pinky to lace in-between Raph’s three fingers.

Raph brushed his plastron against Moonlight’s knees and heard her take a sharp breath in. He pulled back and looked at her. Her face showed pain. When he looked down at her knee, he saw blood trickle from it.

“What did ya do?” He asked in amazement, when he went to examine it. “Ya got something in your knee.” He rubbed one finger over her knee and saw her squirm a little, and take in a sharp breath again.

Moonlight sat up and saw something small and white sticking out from the top of her knee. She pinched it in between her fingers and pulled it to look at it.

“Is that a tooth?” Raph asked looking at it closer.

“Yup.” Moonlight said tossing it in the trash. “I was in a small fight.” Moonlight said.

“Really?” Raph asked, a hint of suspicion in his voice. “Ya up for another one?” He asked with a grin from where he was kneeling on the floor. 

“I’d kick your ass.” Moonlight said, grinning back.

“Wanna bet?” Raph asked, a menacing look in his eyes, his grin growing bigger.

“You wouldn’t…” Moonlight said.

“I think I would.” Raph said playfully as he jumped towards her pushing her back down onto the bed, and holding her in place with his body. “Remember that time you threw Peanut Butter at me?” He said in a whisper of delight, “Well this is payback.”