Chapter 36 The End

He was reluctant at first but Bishop had given up with the turtles. He allowed them to take Moonlight home, back to the lair. His promise had been fulfilled and the fact that he was too busy to pay attention to her helped him make his decision. The turtles had checked Moonlight’s belongings to make sure there were no trackers.

It had only been three days since Moonlight had arrived back to the lair. Everything seemed the same as it was before her death. But she couldn’t shake the feeling of that something was wrong. Though she was back and the turtles were happy to have her, she felt as though they were frightened of her. Having learned about her past even more, she felt uncomfortable, and the pain in her stomach had not gone away either. At times she would moan from the pain and not realize it. But most of the time she kept inside.

Since she had gotten back, Raph hadn’t left her side. The three nights she had been there, Raphael held her close every night and sat awake for the longest time thinking back to the day of her death. Eventhough he tried not to think about it, his efforts were in vain. Tonight was a different memory. The day of her funeral.

...The people were gathered around her casket, tears in their eyes and flowers in their hands. Sounds of cries rang out as people that had known Moonlight gathered to see her one last time. Raph’s brothers had all gone out into the showing room to welcome the guests. But Raph stayed in the small personal room. He looked out the little window at the sky. His reflection blocked parts of the sky, but he could see that it was a dark gray, as if the sky was going to begin to cry with sorrow at the death of Moonlight. Chrysalis had turned him and his family into their human forms to attend the funeral.

The black suit the Raph wore seemed to weigh him down. As he took off the jacket, he felt something in the pocket of the coat. He reached in to find the small velvet box holding the ring that Casey had given to him, to give to Moonlight. He took it out and remembered that Leo had handed it to him that morning. He opened the box and saw the smooth silver ring. Closing the box and holding it tight in his hand he walked out of the room.

Raph stopped right next to the giant double doors of the lead into the showing room. He could hear the voices of everyone as the sounds drifted out into the hall.

Why did his feelings have to boil up now of all times? Why did he feel angry? Why did his chest hurt, and throat tighten up? Why were tears forming in his eyes?

He pushed the doors and walked in. Everyone in turn looked stopped talking and turned to look at him. Outside he could hear the small taps of the rain hitting the roof. Ignoring the looks and the silence, he continued to walk forward, clenching the box even tighter. A group of people blocked the head of Moonlight’s casket. All he could see was the dark red tint of the polished wood at the end of it. He slowed down, trying to find the strength to continue. The group of people turned out to be Moonlight’s old friends from the military. Shorty, who’s eyes were bloodshot from crying, Ranger who looked deeply depressed, Falcon and Buck stood next to Shorty trying to cheer her up, and Malcom stood next Ranger. Mason stood a few feet away from the group.

Ignoring the feeling in his chest, Raph walked up to the casket to see Moonlight lying peacefully inside. The flowers around her lite up the color of her dark red hair, and the smell of the flowers gave a peaceful feeling. Raph looked down at the small box in his hand and then back to her. The room was silent.

“I never got the chance ta ask ya.” He said in a low voice, acting like Moonlight could hear him, but everyone in the room had. He placed the small box just above where her hands had been placed on her stomach. The tears seemed to come harder. As his hand pulled away, he felt just how cold and lifeless she was. Not being able to take it anymore, he turned around and began to walk to the door…

Raph tightened his hold on Moonlight as she laid silently in his arms. She had fallen asleep, but began to sturr with the sudden movement of Raph’s arms. Raphael was sitting on the bed up against the wall. Moonlight was half curled up to his side, halfway on top of him. She raised her head to look up at him and saw that his eyes were beginning to water. She pushed herself into an upright position and looked at him.

“A-r you o..k?” She managed, her speech still a little messed up.

“Yeah. Just thinking about somethin’.” He said with a small smile. “Come here.” He reached for Moonlight and helped her into a more comfortable position. In the end, she wound up in a straddling position above him. Her legs at his hips and her feet behind his back, and her hands to her side on the bed keeping her balanced.  

Raph smiled and kissed her on the lips, taking in her warmth. She was different from the day of her funeral. She felt warm, and lifelike. “I was thinkin about something that I wanted ta ask ya. But I never got the chance.” He said as he pulled away.

“Wh-t?” she asked tilting her head to the side.

Raph reached over to the nightstand at the left side of the bed. Pulling open the small drawer, he reached inside and grabbed the small velvet box.

Before leaving Bishop’s lab, he had taken Raph to the side and given it back to him.

When Raph turned to look back at Moonlight, her head was still tilted, and she looked confused.

“Moonlight…?” He said looking down at the box. Slowly, he opened the lid to reveal the small silver ring. With his usual half assed smiled he looked at her. Her eyes had began to water a little, and her mouth was ajar slightly. “Will ya marry?”

“Raph- yes.” She said.