Chapter 5

~Hiccup ~

I wake up and Astrid isn't here. That's weird. I get out and walk out of the room to see if she's out in the kitchen. She's not there. I walk out the front door where I'm blinded by sunlight.

It's almost midday. So Astrid would be at the Academy. I can't believe she let me sleep this late. Then I remember the events of last night. My nightmare. That's probably why.

She probably also told Gobber that I would be late getting started. Which is fine I guess. I walk back in the house and back into the bedroom. I grab my armor and flight suit, and put them on.

I sit at the table eating an apple. Toothless comes down the stairs. He looks like he just got up too. He sits down on the ground next to me.

"Hey bud. Are you hungry?"

I finish my apple and head outside to get his fish. He eats his fish as I sit on the steps and watch people mill about around the village.

Toothless nudges the basket over to me, and I take care of it.

"What do you say bud? Should we go check on Astrid and see how she's doing?" I ask as I mount Toothless.

We take off and head to the Academy. We land outside and walk in. Astrid is standing with her back to me teaching a group of teens.

I see a few look at me. I raise a finger to my lips. They smile, and direct their attention back to Astrid. I creep closer to Astrid. I stop right behind her trying not to breathe loudly. I then wrap my arms around her, and sweep her off her feet.

She lets out a little squeal before I drop her back on the ground. I give her a quick peck on the cheek.

"Well isn't this a lovely surprise. Class I'm sure you all know Chief Hiccup. Hiccup this is my beginner flight class," Astrid says.

"Hi Hiccup!" the class all shouts.

"Hi everyone," I say back with a small smile.

"So Hiccup, what brings you here?" Astrid asks.

"I've come to steal away my wife for the day," I say as I wrap my arm around her shoulders.

"Is that so?"

"I think so."

"Okay class. I'm going to let you guys out early today. We'll resume class next time okay? You can all go."

All the kids run out of The Academy.

After all the kids are gone Astrid turns to me and asks, "So what do you have planned for today?"

"I don't know. A little this, a that. What do you want to do?"

"What do I want to do? I want to go flying. We haven't been flying together lately."

"Okay? Want to get practice in for tomorrow?" I ask with a little chuckle.

"What's tomorrow?"

"The Fifth Annual Dragon Race," I state.

Astrid slaps her head. "I forgot all about that!"

"Well you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I mean, I'm fine with winning."

"Over my dead body."

"So are we going to go flying, or what?" I ask gesturing to the dragons.

"Yes we are."

Astrid and I mount our dragons and we take off. We head in the direction of Itchy Armpit.

The flight is peaceful. We talk about little things here and there. We stay quiet, just enjoying each other's company.

When we finally reach the island we dismount and sit near the edge. This is where I told Astrid about my dad telling me that I was going to become chief soon.

I suddenly remember something I packed in my saddle bag yesterday. So I stand up and head over to Toothless who was only a few feet away.

"What are you doing?" Astrid asked.

"I just remembered something that I need to do quick."

"Okay. Don't take too long."

I dig through the bag a little before finding what I need. A small box to bigger then my palm. Inside the box is a necklace I made for Astrid. That've I've been working on for a few years.

I go back and sit next to Astrid. She leans her head on my shoulder. I pull out the box and set it on my palm in front of me.

"What's that?" Astrid asks.

"I've been meaning to give this too you for a long time. But it never felt perfect until now."

I handed the box to her and she opened it. There was the necklace I made her. It was a small necklace, with a single charm on it. A carefully sculpted a Deadly Nadder out of metal to put on the necklace.

Astrid gasped. "Hiccup this is incredible. How long did this take you?"

I shrugged, "A couple years. It never felt perfect until this time around. I couldn't wait any longer to give it to you."

"Hiccup. You didn't need to make this. Let alone spend a couple years on it."

I take the necklace from out of the box, and shift so that I'm behind her. She picks up her braid, and holds it out of the way. I clasp the necklace around her neck. She drops her braid, and looks down at the necklace.

"It's perfect."

She turns around and wraps her hands around my neck. She pulls away and places a kiss on my lips.

"I love you," she says to me.

"I love you too."

She turns around and lays her head on my chest. Together we look over the edge of the sea stack at the display in front of us. This is the perfect moment I wish would last forever.