2

I don't know how many times I slept off in the car but we arrived at the house by ten thirty pm. The traffic was that bad. Someone had even died on the wheel and instead of people to help move him out, the were busy taking pictures. I bet it was going to be trending later on twitter. Man dies while stuck in traffic jam.

"What did you guys get?" Dad asked as he opened the door. He was holding a cup of coffee in his other hand. I hate coffee because I always feel sleepy after taking it. I only drink it when I can't sleep at night.

"Just this blender." My stepmother sighed and thrust it in my hand. I took it and walked into the kitchen, inwardly laughing as Hailey and Laney complained about getting nothing, not even one of those glasses they'd posed with.

"Barbara! Get us water. Cold water. We're tired." My stepmother shouted.

"I thought you all went out together. Shouldn't she be tired too?" My dad asked. There was a long silence after that and I guessed they were exchanging messages with their eyes.

My dad can be really confusing at times. Sometimes he acts as though he hates me and sometimes I think he actually cares. There was one time I thought I was adopted but aunt Marie assured me that he was my father. He just didn't know how to act like one.

I got a bottle of water from the fridge with three glass cups and walked to the sitting room. They were all sitting down, looking as tired as people who did mountain climbing.

"Are you going to put on those shoes till you sleep?" My step mother hissed and took a glass from the tray I was holding. "Take them off!"

"I would have done that if you hadn't asked me to get you water." I gave the other two their glasses and poured the water into them. As I was pouring water into Hailey's cup, it splashed a bit on her.

"Look what you've done to my dress! You've ruined it."

"It's just water." I rolled my eyes. "Besides, you're about to take the damn dress off. Stop being a bitch."

"Language, Barbara." Dad cautioned and I just walked away with the empty tray. They weren't the only ones tired. They always acted as if I was a robot. I could never get tired or fall sick. Even robots break down.

After dropping the tray, I walked straight up the stairs to my room, locking the door behind me. I'd had enough for the day. I didn't want anymore problems.

Sitting on the bed, I finally took off my shoes. Oh! The sweet relief. I don't know how some people managed everyday wearing heels. Just a few hours and my feet felt sore.

As I went to hang my bag, I remembered something. I'd seen the same design today but in a purple colour. I didn't check the price tag but it should be something I could afford. Hopefully.

And I remembered the brown box. I opened the bag and took it out.

"Let's see what Pandora's special looks like." I opened the box. There was a pink cloth covering something that had the outline of a bracelet. I removed it revealing a beautiful silver bracelet with pink charms.

"Hailey and Laney are so going to be jealous!" I slipped it onto my left wrist and admired it. The charms had tiny reflective stones that shone when I lifted my wrist facing the light. It was beautiful.

Hailey and Laney... If they knew this was Pandora, I'm sure they'd try to steal it.

I took the box and stuffed it in a large carton box, under all my books. Nobody ever went through my books. I don't think Hailey and Laney even read books so it was safe there. As I brought out my hand, I noticed something weird. Something... Brown?

The charms I could've sworn were pink were suddenly brown. It wasn't a deep brown or caramel it was something like, like the carton.

I blinked once, twice, looked at my wrist and blinked again. Nothing was changing. It was still there. Still brown. If I didn't have the bracelet on my wrist, I would have said it was swapped. But now, I had no explanation for what had happened. I held my hand out waiting for it to change back to pink but nothing happened. I tried wiping it but it remained the same colour. I wiped it again and I saw signs of the brown fading.....but not back to pink. It was turning blue. Blue.

I hated blue because it was everywhere around me. My jeans, my t-shirts, my bedspread, even my mood. And now it was on my bracelet. I sighed and dropped the blue cloth I was holding. Something was wrong with this bracelet and it was....wait a minute! The cloth. It's blue.

I turned back to the box that started everything...brown... And then the cloth that had covered the bracelet... Pink.

I picked the tiny piece of cloth and wrapped it around the bracelet and waited. I removed the cloth and looked. The bracelet had turned pink again. What kind of bracelet is this? Is this why the woman had called it Pandora's special?

With these frequent changes, there was no way I was going to hide this bracelet. What if I was talking to somebody and it started changing? They'd freak out. How could I explain my bracelet being a chameleon.

Chameleon!

It was a crazy idea but I found myself browsing chameleons. 'What causes the changes in the chameleon's skin?'. Google provided me with a variety of answers but no one seemed to satisfy me. The closest I could relate with were chromatophore and metachrosis. But those were for animals. When I searched bracelets, I found nothing. Just neon colours.

Oh well, my bracelet was special.

I took it off and placed it in my bedside drawer. The pink began fading just as I closed the drawer.

__________________________

'Cardi! Ayy. Said little'

I pressed the dismiss button on my phone. My alarm had never rang past the first line of Bodak yellow. I'd like to call myself a light sleeper but there are times when I've slept right through ten songs. I like setting songs as my alarm and they work perfectly fine for me.

I sighed and stepped down from the bed. Saturdays...
I don't know if this happens in all houses but Saturdays in my house were working days. Everything looked extra dirty when it was time to clean. Being the one who swept, mopped and dusted the house, I hated Saturdays.

Hailey and Laney took care of the kitchen which wasn't much work because I still helped them sweep. They only had to wash plates and cook. Now that's the part I loved about Saturdays. Since they were to wash, I made sure I ate more than six times with a different plate each time I entered the kitchen.

A few minutes after twelve noon, I was done with all my work and went back upstairs to my room. I sat on my bed and opened my English note.

A day I'll never forget.

That was easy. Yesterday.

Hey loves,

What do you think about the bracelet?

Cool or creepy?

Don't forget to vote, comment and share😘😘