❁8- Smile a bit, Please?❁

The following day at school, I walked into my Chemistry class to finally see Eric sitting on my desk. He had been missing school ever since the incident.

        "Teagan." He said with a small smile.

        How do I go about this? Do I be kind to him, like the nice forgiving person I am? Or do I act like a biatch considering he almost killed me...

        "Oh hi" I said waving. I sat my backpack down, and stood awkwardly in front of him. "What is up?"

        "Well, I uh- I need to apologize for acting the way I did at the beach. I had no idea you couldn't swim, and I'm sorry." He said shamefully shaking his head.

        "It's ok." I said with a small smile. "It's kinda my fault in a way. I should have told you."

        "No-its not." He said locking eyes with me. It's then that I took in his handsome features. He has dark brown-or black- hair, with chocolate brown eyes. He was a good height, probably six foot. He was tan, really tan, but not too tan to the point where it's creepy. He was also muscular.

        "Look Teagan. I just want you to know that I didn't miss school because I was scared to face you-that's the opposite. I wanted to talk to you, and apologize but I- my family went through a difficult time." He smiled sadly. I could see sadness in his eyes, and he looked like he had been crying recently. How did I just notice this now?

        "Are you okay?" I asked, putting my hands in my black sweatshirt pockets.

        "Yah. It's just, uh, you know. My-my dad died." He said barely above a whisper.

        It looked like he had cracked. Not physically, but mentally. His normal self is cocky, confident, always cheery. But what I saw here, was a broken boy who lost his best friend.

        Now I've known Eric for as long as I could remember, and he and his dad have always been together. They were like best friends, inseparable. His father helped him build his first rocket (play rocket of course), ride a bike, play sports, and all that stuff. My heart seemed to break at the mention of this.

        I did what any other person would have done, I hugged him. I wrapped my arms around his torso and buried my head in his chest.

        "I'm so sorry Eric" I said softly.

        He chuckled slightly. "No need to apologize."

        "If you don't mind me asking.. How did he die?" I asked carefully, scared I would be treading on dangerous water.

        "He died saving a little boy in a fire." He said sadly.

        His father was a fireman, and the very best fireman in this town. He was a town hero, and everyone loved him.

        I hugged him even tighter.

        The bell rang, interrupting our hug, and I backed up and gave him a reassuring smile.

        "ALRIGHT!" Mr. Rowels, our teacher yelled. "Let's get this started....."

        That's when I started to tune out.

        My mind kept returning thoughts to Eric and his father. I can kind of feel his pain. I never met my dad. He died when I was born. My mother said he died in combat, because he was a marine. It saddens me that he never got the chance to meet his daughter.

        My thoughts were pulled out when Mr. Rowels said "miss White will be with Mr. North. Now get started."

        Uh oh. I didn't pay attention. My bad..