6 - "Promise?"

Nisha's mobile rang. She cursed the person who was calling. She was already angry as Rahul had not turned up to pick her up at the supermarket. At the moment she was walking back home.

She placed the bags in her left hand on the sidewalk for a moment and fished out her mobile from her jeans pocket. She then accepted the call and placed the mobile at her ear.

"Hello." She balanced the mobile between her ear and shoulder, then picked up the bags and started walking again.

"Hey."

"Where the hell are you?" She shouted. "And where was your mobile till now?"

"I was busy."

"Busy." She scoffed. "Busy with what. You were supposed to pick me up. You yourself offered to. I had not asked you."

"Are you still at the store?"

"No. After waiting for almost half an hour and not receiving any response for the ten missed calls. I started walking."

"Where have you reached?"

"Just in the lane towards home."

"Okay so-."

She understood what he was about to say but interrupted him. "If you come home now, you better have a good reason for not turning up or else don't come." Without another word, she cut the call.

She had reached home and placed the bags down at the door. She was about to remove the keys from her purse when the door opened.

Surprise! 

Everyone shouted from inside.

"Happy birthday Nisha!" Rahul came forward to give her a hug. He then held her by her shoulders and bought her inside.

"What is all this?"

"A birthday surprise Nisha bua."

"Chirag." She crouched down to hug her five year old nephew who kissed her cheek.

"Happy birthday Nisha." Prerna took her daughter in an embrace.

Rakesh hugged them both. "Happy birthday my dear." He kissed her forehead.

"Thank you mom and dad."

"Happy birthday dear." Reena came next.

"Thank you, Reena bua." Nisha hugged her.

Rahul came forward. "Okay, now let the birthday girl freshen up and change. So she can meet the other guests too."

"Come soon Nisha bua. I have a present for you."

"I can't wait to see it." She ruffled his hair before climbing up the stairs to her room.

She was really surprised. They had birthday parties for her till school days. After which she celebrated with her family and later with Mayur and his family as well. After his death she did not wish to. But today looking at all the efforts taken and the number of guests waiting in the hall, she decided to not let anyone down and dressed up quickly.

***

"Rakesh, just a minute." Prerna excused her husband from his group of friends.

"Yes dear?"

"Did you invite them?" She nodded in the direction of the door where the couple were entering.

"No I did not. All the invitations have been sent by Rahul and Shruti only."

"Rahul will not invite them, that's a given. Let's ask Shruti."

They walked to her. "Shruti"

"Yes Rakesh mama?"