32 - SLAP

Nisha was baffled. It had been five days. Five days since she had heard his voice. Five days since she had spoken to him. Five days since she had seen him. He was not responding to either her calls or texts or mails. When she went to his house to check on him, it was shut. He wasn't there at home too.

She called up Payal, Ananya and Parth. They too had no idea about his whereabouts. The last time Parth spoke to him was Sunday, right before his disappearance. And Parth added that everything was fine then. They too were puzzled. At the moment he wasn't accepting their calls either.

Aditya where are you?

Nisha reluctantly dialled Ruchit's number.

"Hello Ruchit."

"Hello Nisha."

"Ruchit. Aditya is neither responding to my calls or texts. Do you know where he is?"

"He is in Bangalore."

"Bangalore? Suddenly? Why? Is there any problem?"

Ruchit was silent for a moment. "No."

"Are his parents fine?"

"Yes."

"Do you have his Bangalore's telephone number?"

"No."

That's it? The commentator and flirtatious Ruchit was giving monosyllabic answers. This was so not him. She could sense something was wrong.

Ruchit knew something about Aditya. And was hiding it from her. But why? What was it that he could not tell her?

Is Adi in trouble? Are his parents unwell? Or are his parents in any kind of trouble? Why is Adi not picking up my call? Why is he not telling me anything? If he will share his worry, maybe I can help him.

"Did you get through Aditya?" Naren asked. They were seated at he table for dinner. But Nisha was just toying with her food. Her mind was racing with thoughts about Aditya.

"No."

"Did you try his Bangalore number?"

"Yeah. I found it in our records. But when I dial, the operator says that the number is unavailable."

"What about his family?" Shruti asked.

"I got his dad's number. But no use. He too isn't picking up."

"Who isn't picking up?" Prerna asked.

"No one mom."

"Nisha, you look tensed. What's the matter?"

"Nothing mom."

"Fine... Nisha now that you and Aditya are together, invite him to dinner. His parents too. We would like to meet them. Right Rakesh."

Rakesh just let out a hmmm.

"First let me meet him." Nisha muttered.

"What? What did you say?... Have you two got into a argument?"

"No ma." Nisha spoke irritatedly.

"Prerna." Rakesh called. "Let her be."

"But Ra..."

"Prerna." He patted her hand indicating her to leave the topic.

***
Nisha hit the brakes hard making the car stop to a screeching halt. The cars behind her were honking wildly. But her attention was fixed on the figure that entered the cafe. Adi?

She had hallucinated about seeing him on a few occasions before. But this time she was sure.

He is here? Finally? And still he did not bother to even call me.