Chapter 3: Accused (Edited✔

Alecia pushed herself off the ground and staggered towards the doorway

Alecia pushed herself off the ground and staggered towards the doorway. Rubbing the sleep off of one eye, she found Evie near the entrance as she stepped out of the building.

"Hello again," Alecia greeted.

Evie remained strangely silent, and she, with her eyes locked on Evie, moved next to it.

"What are you doing?" she asked, waving her hand over Evie's eyes.

Its hand materialized a sharp-edged weapon. Alarmed, Alecia backed away, never leaving her eyes at the metal.

"Stay back," said Evie, an unusual, ominous tone to its robotic voice, which made Alecia's eyes widen a fraction.

"We're in danger."

Her pulse quickened at the mention of danger, gaze frantically grazing around the area, adamant to find the imperilment her companion spoke of.

"We're surrounded," warned Evie.

Alecia stepped back, her arms stiff, and intertwined her sweating fingers.

"What do we do?" she asked, looking around and searching for an escape route, but all she saw were debris, wreckage, and destruction.

"Get back inside the building, Alecia," Evie said before aiming its weapon at the building ahead of them.

Alecia cautiously retreated into the building.

"This goes against my programming to kill."

An almost maniacal laugh resonated from the midst of the rubble that surrounded them.

"You make it sound like it's a bad thing!" a young man's deep voice barked, showing himself from the building across where they stood. He appeared to be wearing clothes made from leather and scrap for armor, a speck of ash dirt smeared on his face and greasy hair shown in his headband.

"Leave the perimeter. Now." Evie grasped the heavy metal with a vice-like grip, charging up, its barrel starting to form a blue glow.

"What?" the reckless man said with a provoking tone, striding closer, his arms outstretched.

"A medic bot like you won't kill me!"

In a flurry of motion, the man got struck down by an unknown spike of energy.

"Oh, spare me the ignorance," an older man's voice roared from the right side of the pathway. Evie aimed its weapon in the same direction where another suspicious figure came, bringing a new sense of danger.

"This is quite a surprise," said the stranger once more.

Alecia deliberately peeked from the doorway, the strands of her fringe hanging over one eye.

"A medic-bot out here," he said, revealing himself. He had a bald head and was of old age, clad in armor similar to the young man he shot with the weapon clasped in his grubby hands.