Chapter 9: New Day (Edited✔)

Alecia climbed off the bed and exited the room, heading to the bathroom. She switched the light on and stepped towards the sink to look at her reflection in the mirror, turning, tapping, and gathering cold water in her hands. After rinsing her face, she closed it.

"Excuse me, Miss?"

A child's voice startled Alecia. She peered in the doorway and spotted the shy girl Wallace mentioned in the dining room.

"Hello," Alecia said, "You should be in bed."

The girl stepped into the light, a trusting gaze directed at Alecia. "The sounds outside scare me."

"Do you want me to take you to your room?"

"Yes."

"What's your name?" Alecia said cheerfully as she walked with her down the hall.

"El-Elica," she mumbled, "and you are Alecia?"

Elica looked up at her.

"How did you-?"

"I overheard them say your name."

Alecia stopped in front of an unbarred chamber. "Is this your room?"

"Yes."

Alecia turned the light on. The room had nothing, save from a closet and a bed, a stuffed animal on the blue blanket. Elica hurried to the bed and perched on it, the stuffed animal cradled in her arms. Alecia couldn't help but smile.

She stepped towards Elica, covering the blanket over her. "And what's your little friend's name?"

"Oh," Elica murmured, "I didn't give him a name. What should I name him, Alecia?"

Elica showed it to her. Alecia gave a thoughtful gaze, holding the stuffed animal and looking at its one-eyed face.

"How about Perry?"

"Perry?" Elica took the stuffed animal from her. "Okay, Perry it is."

She hugged Perry, a joyful smile on her face, and lay back down. Alecia smiled, striding to the doorway, and switched off the light.

"No!" Elica shook her head. "Can you turn the light back on? I don't like it when it's dark."

"Okay." Alecia switched it on. "Try and sleep, okay?"

She peered at her over her shoulder.

"Okay."

Alecia headed down the hall to her room and stopped short in front of a room's door. Wallace stepped out.

"Who were you talking to?" asked Wallace, his voice tired.

"Elica was scared, so I took her back to her room."

"Oh, okay." He closed the door. "Good night, Alecia"

"Good night."

-

Alecia lay down on her bed, gaze fixed on the ceiling. Her thoughts lingered on Elica; having no parents, being scared all the time, she reminded her of herself, the only difference was she lost herself, no memories of her past.

Every time she attempted, she recalled only glimpses, as if looking through a keyhole of a locked door. She stared at the ceiling, forcing herself to remember, until her eyes fluttered close, and after a few beats, she fell asleep.

-

Alecia knocked on the door of Wallace's office.

"Come in," said he, voice muffled.