Chapter XXIII: All For Nothing (Edited✔)

Almost making a mistake of falling, Norah stood on the edge of the gaping hole in the wooden floor

Almost making a mistake of falling, Norah stood on the edge of the gaping hole in the wooden floor. She sighed, looking at the floor below, her short hair hanging on each side of her face. She walked around it and headed towards the doorway of the room. Her footsteps echoing throughout the interior of the building, she strode down the hallway, the staircase at the end of it.

"Don't lose them please," the man's voice said from her device.

"Don't worry about it." She stepped down the flight of stairs. "They're heading towards the bridge."

"Out of the city?"

"I suppose." She went down the final steps and walked to the front door. "Is that a problem?"

"No. The only problem here is if you lose them."

The woman exited the building.

"How did you know about the bridge?"

"I listen." She traveled through a narrow road which cracked over the years, blades of grass growing out of them.

-

The young woman strode towards a T-junction. She rested her back against the wall of the building on the right and carefully peeked out from the corner to look at the three individuals entering the bridge. She trailed her eyes down her artificial arm, and with troubled eyes, she flexed her arms, testing if she was able to control them.

"Norah?" The man's rough voice startled her. "Do you see them?"

She took out the device and raised it to her lips. "They've just entered the bridge."

She peered from the corner again. "Why are they going out of the city, do you know?"

"How should I?"

Norah sighed and closed her eyes for a moment. "Do you at least know what's outside the city?"

"Not sure."

"Please, I don't want to follow them for miles." She turned around the corner and sneaked down the road towards the bridge.

"If they're going into a remote area, a settlement's the closest thing I can think of."

She clicked the button once more. "Then I'll try to follow them as long as I can."

"Please follow them as far as you can."

"Easy for you to say when you're the one sitting and doing nothing."

"Aw, come on, don't be like that."

"It's true." Norah stepped towards a mangled car and ducked. "I do all the hard work."

"That's false. I do more mental work than physical, you know that."

Norah chuckled, stealthily moving towards the other car.