Chapter 13: Concrete Jungle (Edited✔)

"Catch!" Virgil threw a bottle to her

"Here you go," said Virgil as he threw another bottle to Diana. He took out the third bottle, uncapped it, and drank a bit.

"This time, we should drink slowly."

"What now?" asked Diana as she scanned her eyes across the walls and looked outside. "When it gets dark, what should we do?"

Virgil pointed at her with a tilt of his head and dug in his backpack.

"What are you looking for?" Alecia gazed at his hands rummaging inside his backpack. He took out a small black column and pointed at her; with a click came a bright source of light beaming on Alecia's face.

"Please don't shine that on me," said Alecia, shielding her eyes.

"It's bright, hey!" Virgil smiled and shone it at Diana who scolded at him to stop.

He chuckled and turned it off.

"Charged by the sunlight." He looked at it in his hand, grinning. "From what little sunlight there is, anyway."

Diana frowned. "That's your plan?"

"Do you have a better one?" Virgil looked at her as if his eyes sparked a challenge. "You must enjoy your rest while you can."

He turned to Alecia. "We shouldn't waste valuable daytime, we're gonna start walking again soon."

"I think we should do it now," Alecia said as she placed the blade in her boot.

"I don't think we should waste time either." She stood and wiped off any ash dirt on her jacket.

"Okay." Virgil stood as well, holding the bag by its strap. "You're sure you don't want to rest more?"

"What I know is if we rest long enough," Alecia said while tightening the jacket around her waist, "they might surprise us, and before we know it, we're surrounded."

Alecia walked towards the other entrance. Virgil swung the backpack over his shoulder.

"Okay. You first." He gestured towards the exit. Diana chuckled as she walked past him.

Alecia stared at the building across her. With haste, the day became night, and the buildings were covered in a blaze of fire and smoke, the air heated up with flakes of ash falling all around her.

"No." She shut her eyes. "It's not real."

A hand touched her shoulder. She opened her eyes to see everything around her was back to normal.

Virgil stepped in front of her. "What are you doing? What's wrong?"

He gazed at her, puzzled.

"No, I was just. . ." She shook her head. "Nothing, never mind."