Chapter 4: Alone (Edited✔)

Falling into a never-ending abyss, Alecia's breathing increased rapidly as she watched the light dimmed out

Falling into a never-ending abyss, Alecia's breathing increased rapidly as she watched the light dimmed out. As soon as she closed her eyes, awaiting the inevitable end, rough voices growled and dominated her head.

"She's one of them!"

"This is for all the people who have died because of you."

"I'm different."

"I thought you'd understand."

In a snap, she became weightless, along with the calm breeze guiding around her entire body. Alecia pried open her eyes to find herself no longer slipping endlessly, but hovering above the ground, transparent blue flames keeping her in a fixed position. It delicately descended her to the ground and disintegrated away into nothing.

She struggled to keep herself up-just standing upright was a difficult task for her-and roamed her eyes around the unfamiliar area.

"Oh, Evie," she murmured with a shaky breath. "I'm so sorry."

She closed her eyes, letting out a sigh, and when she opened them, a thick fog surrounded her. Slow and steady, she stumbled to the fog, not knowing what lay within, which charged her to be on guard.

In the midst of the thick fog-dank and maddeningly grey-Alecia caught sight of blue lights grouped together in the distance. She followed the direction of the lights as they got brighter with each step she took.

A path opening presented itself, lights on either side. Since no other way was penetrable, she decided to tread towards the lit passage, and with her drawing closer, she figured them to only be natural light sources; their appearance had a branch holding a dome that illuminated the night sky.

Alecia leaned in, its light reflecting off her face. "Beautiful," she murmured as she moved her hands with delightful eyes towards it, capturing its beauty.

The dome's light fizzled when she touched it through the tip of her finger.

"Woah," she said, turning to another, and touched it as well, which then withdrew its glow; they lit up once more after a moment. She made herself focus-she must not get distracted-and so she turned her attention to the path and stumbled through. Alecia raised her eyes up at a wall that scaled over thirty feet. Natural lights in various shapes and sizes swarmed each side of the path.

A few moments passed, she still traipsed along the path while gazing at the fascinating lights. Without a warning, her foot twisted in a painful crunch, making her drop on the ground and slide down a steep hill, shrieking, her speed increased every second.

She gasped when her arm got struck by a sharp object and braced herself for another that might injure her further. Alecia fell into a long grass-covered surface. She looked at her shoulder, which now suffered a deep cut, the blood gushing out. She sat and placed her hand over the wound to stop the bleeding. Pushing herself upright, all the while adjusting to the pain of her injuries, she cried out and slumped to the floor while clutching her thigh.