Chapter Twenty-Three

He swung at me first, slashing the knife at my chest, only to fake me out and punch me in the side. I coughed, my breath leaving me, but kept my composure as I flipped to the side when he swung at me. He charged at me like a bull, swinging around the knife that was drenched in purple poison. I waited until he was directly in front of me and ducked, smashing the bottom of his chin with an uppercut, making him gasp and back up, long enough for me to swipe his feet out from under him.

He fell to the ground with a thud, rolling to the side when I tried to stomp on his head. My heart raced in my chest as we exchanged blows, my breaths coming out in pants as I ducked and dodged Lycan's advances. My muscles throbbed and ached since I hadn't moved like this in a while, my gut clenching as Lycan punched me a couple of times in the face. I felt the beginnings of a black eyes, my flesh tingling and stretching painfully as I moved.

Lycan swung at me again after I decked him in the gut and I barely had any time to move before the knife nicked me. However, my foot caught onto something and I fell backwards, gasping when the back of my head hit the sidewalk. My vision swayed for a moment, my heart racing in my chest, but then returned to me just in time to roll out of the way of what would have been a fatal blow.

My bangs were a tangled mess in my eyes, but I had no time to push them to the side as Lycan launched after me, effectively knocking me back down and pinning me to the ground, his legs straddling mine. I tried punching him, but he caught my fist and slammed it against the concrete, just above my head, making me whimper in pain. He then grabbed my right hand and pinned it against my left, his large hand engulfing my tiny ones. He smirked, leaning down in my face, and brought his knife up to my throat, the tip barely grazing the delicate flesh.

My heart beat against my chest so hard that I thought it was going to break my ribs. Sweat lined my forehead and body, my muscles aching from the excessive use. My head hurt like crazy from being smacked into the concrete, and my lungs were intaking air rapidly as I tried to control my breathing. Was this it? Was I going to die here? Today? After all I have done? Was this really the extent of my abilities? If so...then I was really pathetic. I couldn't even defend myself from a demon who was thousands of years younger than me. Was I really that weak?

I felt the tip of his knife dig deeper into my skin, and I winced when I felt the skin break and a drop of blood run down my porcelain skin. Lycan seemed to shiver at the sight, as if he were turned on at the sight of my blood. Creepy. He smiled and leaned in close to my face, making me grimace and turn my head away from him, as he tried meeting my eyes. "You know...now that you're on your back for me, I can see that you look so delectable. Maybe I won't kill you. Maybe I'll just make you my perfect little doll."

The knife left my throat, only to appear back on my cheek right under my right eye. I gulped but dared not to move as he trailed the blade over my cheek, making the poison leak onto my pale skin in a purple river, trailing down the side of my cheek to hit the ground below. Lycan chuckled and leaned down, licking the trail of poison, making me shudder in disgust and turn my head further away from him. "Where's the sword, my little doll?"

I glared at him, pursing my lips before I spit into his face, making him reel back with wide eyes. "Why should I tell you?"

Lycan glared and pulled the knife from my cheek, only to deck me in the face with his fist, making my head fly to the side, pain exploding in my skull. He grabbed me by the hair, forcing me to look back at him, blood trailing out of my broken nose and down to my throat, where it formed a puddle at my collarbone. "I wouldn't get cocky if I were you, boy," he growled, tightening his grips on my wrists, making me wince in pain. "As you can see, I can, and will kill you if you fail to tell me the sword's whereabouts. Not only will I make your death painful, I will relish your screams as I tear into your flesh."