Chapter 54~ Together In Paris

Penny had arrived in San Franskoyo, and she didn't know what she was expecting. The place was so busy, and people were around every corner.

"Ah, smell that air Penny. It's not Florida." Penny's mom took a deep breath, and smiled.

"Yep. Definitely not Florida," Penny said absent mindedly.

They were at the airport, and a worker helped roll their stuff out onto the streets.

"An Uber is supposed to drive us to the hotel, which I heard is near a nice café." Penny's mom sat on a bench and wanted.

Penny's heart started to beat frantically. "Uh...do you know the name of the café?"

Mrs. Forrester tapped her chin. "Something about Lucky Cats..."

"The Lucky Cat café," Penny whispered.

"Yes! That one! We should check it out first!"

Penny chuckled nervously. "Really? Aren't you tired? It was quite a plane ride!"

"No, I'm too excited! Please come Penny, I want to explore the city with my darling daughter."

Penny rolled her eyes. "Sure, but can we at least settle down into the hotel first?"

Mrs. Forrester nodded. "Of course. There's our ride! Come on dear!"

◈▣◈

There they were, standing by the Eiffel Tower. Elena was enthralled by the sight, and Naomi snapped a few pictures to send to her Mom and Dad as postcards.

"Those are nice Naomi," Mateo said.

Naomi saw this as an opportunity. Elena didn't see how, but Naomi did.

"Yeah, but I wish I was in some. Hey, look at that café! Can you take a picture for me? Just outside the café. Come on!" Naomi grabbed his hand and dragged him over before waiting for an answer.

Elena understood what she was doing, and ran through the plan in her mind. It wasn't hard, it wasn't.

"Hey...Gabe? I think we can get a better look from there, where the tourists are lined up."

"Oh, Elena...I think that's to get to the top."

Elena smiled. "Why can't we go to the top?"

"Well, uh, I guess I don't see why we can't but Naomi, Mateo, the line—" Gabe stuttered.

"Fresh baguettes! Right out of ze oven! Tasty, non?"

The tourists oohed and rushed over to see if they could get a sample.

"Well, it's open now, and Naomi and Mateo are obviously having fun taking pictures," Elena said.

She was right, Naomi had ordered a crêpe, and she was now eating it sloppily while Mateo took photos, laughing.

"Okay, fine!" Gabe threw his hands up in mock defeat as they walked over to the lift.

Gabe watched the ground grow farther and farther away as he and Elena were taken up.

"Wow, it's beautiful!" Elena gaped and stepped off the lift to the top of the tower.

"Woah, it's like a mini restaurant up here," Gabe said.

"Yeah...it's giving me a strong vibe."

Gabe sent her a questioning glance.

Elena shrugged. "Oh, you know...kind of a romance type of vibe?"

There was one couple in particular that was showing way too much PDA, and the scene reminded Elena of her and Isabel's favourite Disney movie, 'Lady and the Tramp'.

Gabe nudged Elena in the side. "Look. It's the iconic spaghetti move."

A guy was trying to convince his girlfriend to pick up the other end of spaghetti.

Elena laughed. Then she grew more serious.

She sighed. "Listen Gabe, I know I'm always the one telling you I'm not interested in a romantic relationship with me because...you know, it's a lot right now. Gotta focus on school, Isabel, Avalor, and all that. You get that...right? And Princess and the guard, that would cause quite a..."

Gabe nodded quietly. They'd had this conversation before. It was very awkward, and Gabe hoped they'd never revisit the subject.

But this is not the direction Elena wanted the conversation to stir. "But, uh...you know just because I'm busy doesn't mean that I don't reciprocate your feelings..."

Gabe looked in Elena's eyes, confused, and even though he didn't want to show it, a little glimmer of hope shone in his eyes.

Elena saw and shook her hands. "Not that I like you—but—what I mean is—"

"I...think I get what you're trying to say."

"You do?"

But Elena still heard the hurt in his voice. Which means he must've gotten the wrong message.

"I...I do like you," Elena mumbled.

Gabe shook his head. "I'm confused. What are you saying? That you don't have time? Or that you—"

Elena pressed her finger against his lip.

"I like you...but I'm busy. That's what I'm trying to say," she said.

"But what does that mean?"

"I guess it means I can do little things, like this." Elena stood up on her tippy toes so she could reach Gabe lips.

Gabe was startled at first, then he understood that he wasn't the one who started it, Elena was. He picked her up, just a little, and let the kiss linger. He let her feet touch the floor again, and they pulled away.

"I'm sorry, I feel like I was a bit unfair to you and I thought that shutting down the idea in your head was better than leading you on, you know?"

Gabe smiled. "It's fine, everything's fine now."

◈▣◈

"Let's go up to the tower, I think I see Elena and Gabe up there!" Naomi suggested.

"How can you even see that far? The sun is blinding," Mateo said, shading his eyes.

"Best friend intuition, okay?" Naomi joked and dragged him to the lift.

Sure enough they reached the top of the tower, and Gabe and Elena were there, staring down below.

"Do they think we're down there?" Mateo whispered.

"Probably."

Naomi came up behind them and tapped Elena on the shoulder. Elena's face seemed softer somehow, like stress had been relieved from it. Naomi took that as a good sign.

"Oh, hey Naomi! Where's Mateo?" Gabe asked, noticing her.

Naomi spun around, and caught Mateo looking at the menu for the upstairs restaurant. She sighed. Did he not realize everything on that menu was served on the tiniest dish but cost a fortune?

Naomi shook her head and laughed. "I fear I may have transformed him into a foodie. I think he has a thing for French cuisine."

Happy New Year everyone! Been such a busy an emotional week for me, so sorry I didn't publish. I really thought I did.