not alone : tadarah

soulmate au where one has the same eye colour as their soulmate and will turn into their own eye colour once they meet them

+

was it weird to have a pair of eyes that had two completely different colours on each of them? in this society, it was considered normal, per se. it was even considered a good thing, because it would mean that you would have a soulmate out there, just waiting to be found.

all his life, yamaguchi never remembered a day which he knew he had two different eye colours. both of them were a dark shade of brown, but still one hundred precent recognisable as brown. he never remembered seeing an eye in another colour; another shade of brown, or shades of black, blue, or green. so he was sure his fate was sealed: he was going to roam this world alone.

that was until he met tsukishima kei.

being friends with a huge tall smartass like tsukishima made him feel safer. he never got picked on again, and plus, he managed to befriend him too.

one day, he and tsukishima were sitting at their table during lunch when yamaguchi asked, "tsukki, have you found your soulmate yet?"

"no," the blonde answered, "my other eye hasn't changed its colour yet."

he blushed in embarrassment, "right. sorry. at least you know you have a soulmate."

"what do you mean?" tsukishima asked, his tone coming off as uninterested.

"see, both of my eyes have the same colour," yamaguchi explained, "so, yeah, i basically don't have a soulmate."

tsukishima looked at him right in the eye and stared into them for a few moments. when yamaguchi thought those golden and dark brown eyes could see way too much, like he was exposed, he coughed and broke eye contact. tsukishima leaned back.

"your eyes each have a different colour," he said.

"huh?"

"one is really dark brown, but the other is a shade darker. it kinda looks like black-brown."

yamaguchi could not believe this. how had he never looked and scrutinised his very own eyes before?

"are you sure?" he asked, "you're not just saying this out of pity, are you?"

"do you think i would have any benefit out of lying to you?" tsukishima said.

that little revelation unlocked something deep within the freckled male, and he smiled so big like it could hurt, so genuine and pure, and said, "arigatou."

+

yamaguchi had done it. he managed to lose tsukishima in a crowded hallway at school.

you would find it impossible to miss such a tall guy like him. but believe it when i say the crowd was just overwhelming and just made things harder to see. like everyone were huge waves, and trying to find one small little fish in them was proving to be a taxing task.

the boy pushed through the crowd, praying that he wouldn't somehow knock someone off their feet. it would be chaotic, and everyone would fall, just like a line of dominoes.

he managed to get out of the huge crowd, and he breathed a sigh of relief. unfortunately. his relief came too soon, and he wasn't looking where he was going, knocking into someone else.

the person stumbled backwards, falling onto the ground and landing on their rear. books, files, and notes spewed around them like fallen leaves.

yamaguchi panicked, "i-i'm so sorry!"

he scrambled to pick their stuff off the floor, gathering them into a neat stack. he held the pile in his hands, passing them over to the person when they locked gazes. her dark eyes bore into his, staring into them. moments passed, and he noticed a change in one of her eyes. the colour was turning darker into a shade of dark brown.

she's his soulmate.

"i-i'm really sorry!" he apologised again, breaking eye contact as he handed her her things.

she accepted them, eyes skirting over them then going back to him.

"it's you," she said, almost like a whisper, "it's really you."

he didn't know what to say. he wanted to laugh. he wanted to cry. he didn't know how to respond to this.

"i-i'm glad to have found you too," he managed to say, shooting her a shy smile.

"sarah [last name], class [insert class]," she said, smiling at him again as she stood up.

he stood up as well, "y-yamaguchi tadashi, class 1-4."

"see you around, tadashi," she said as she turned on her heel to leave.

as he watched her silhouette receed into the hallway, growing smaller and smaller, a smile tugged at his lips.

after so many years, he's finally not alone.

+

[ word count : 727 ]
[ date published : 030118 ]

[ a/n : second day of school already has me dead and i already have hw + let me transfer to another class the triple sci teachers are v boring esp the physics teacher + i'm p sure this book will die this year ]