Chapter 42

Niall's POV

I was driving along the road, angrily singing along to the radio. I drove to Natalie's job, parking and jogging up to the gate.

"Sir, I'm sorry but the zoo will be closing soon." A dude about my age stopped me. I took off my Ray Bans, staring at his name tag.

"I'm sorry, I was just looking for my friend Natalie." I saw his eyes sparkle with recognition. "Do you know her?"

"I, uh, yes. She works in the nursery." He blushed. Oh, someone was a little stalker. "Her shift was over an hour ago."

"Oh, well she was supposed to meet me for a date and never showed up." I placed my glasses on top of my blonde hair, crossing my arms.

"Oh, so your Harry?" His smile faded, replaced with a frown.

"Hell no, I'm Niall."

"Good, I hate his ass." He breathed out a sigh of relief. I laughed, suddenly liking this guy. "Well, I guess your free to look for her here until closing time." He stood out of my way, me silently thanking him. I walked around, looking for some kind of directions to the nursery. How people got around this big ass place was beyond me.

I found a staff member and poked her on the shoulder. "Excuse me?"

"Yes?" She turned around, smiling at me.

"Um, I'm looking for my friend Natalie, she works in the nursery and her shift was over an hour ago." I stated, feeling a tug on my leg. I looked down to find a young girl with pigtails, smiling up at me. I bent down, smiling back at her.

"I'm sorry, I work on the other side of the zoo. I can't help you." She shrugged walking away. I rolled my eyes, getting annoyed that no one knew where Nat was.

"Pst." The little girl poked me. "I no where da girl went." She yipped. I stared at her.

"Really?" She nodded, telling me to come closer. She whispered into my ear what she knew, and I could feel my mouth forming into an 'o'.

"Marilyn!" A lady ran towards us, grabbing the little girl. "I'm so sorry. She hasn't learned not to talk to strangers yet." She blushed. Marilyn pouted, her eyebrows furrowing together. I looked around, spotting a balloon cart.

"Hold up." I told them, jogging over to the cart. I paid for a red balloon, jogging back to Marilyn and her mom. "Here ya go love." I tied the string to her wrist, making sure it wouldn't float away. She giggled and waved as her mom dragged her off.

I ran back to the car replaying Marilyn's words in my head.

"A man with a mask came and took her, she tried to scream but he put rag over her mouth and threw her phone. They left in a white van."

It didn't really give me much to work with but at least now I knew what happened to her. I drove down the streets, scanning driveways for white vans. Just as I was about to leave and search another neighborhood, I spotted it. The white van with 'Bert's Cleaners' on the side seemed suspicious. I parked across the street, walking slowly towards the house.

I tried listening for any talking but all I heard was rustling by the side of the house. I walked towards the noise looking up when it got louder. I heard a scream followed by a girl. I caught her in my arms and she looked up at me. Natalie's face was flushed and she blushed shyly.

"Hi." She whispered looking into my eyes.

"Hey." I smirked, hearing a noise come from the back door. "Let's get out of here." I threw her over my shoulder and made a run of the car, Natalie trying (and failing miserably) to muffle her giggles. I placed her in the passenger seat, running over to my side and starting the car. I sped off just as a man walked out to the front, screaming and yelling.

"Who's that?" I questioned, looking in the rear-view mirror.

"My old boss. He thought it would be okay to kidnap me." She rolled her eyes, brushing the hair out of her face. Her stomach growled and I laughed.

"Would you like to get some dinner?" I smiled at her driving to a place I knew she would love.

"Yes please!" She laughed.

We pulled into a Nando's a few minutes later, deciding for take out. I ran inside ordering basically the whole menu before paying and running back to the car.

"How much did you get?!" Natalie giggled as I came back with all the bags.

"Enough to feed a hungry boy and a pretty girl." I flashed her a smile. She blushed taking a container and digging in. We are in silence until Nat finally spoke up.

"You know, I'm really glad you showed up. I don't know what I would have done when I got out of that nut-jobs house. Your a good friend." She looked at me with a friendly smile on her face.

"It's fine. What are friends for?" I swallowed, trying to not let it show how much getting friend-zoned affected me. She took my hand in hers, my smile reappearing. I started the car and drive to a nearby store.

"Where to now?" She questioned, her hand still holding mine.

"Well I think you need a new phone." I said passing stores until I found a Verizon. "Aha." I pulled into the parking lot."

"Oh Niall it's ok, I was going to buy one later when I got my paycheck."

"Just think of it as a friendly gift. From me to you." I opened her door for her and walking to the shop. We walked inside and Nat picked out the cheapest phone in the store. She showed me the tiny Nokia phone that looked as if it could break at any moment.

"Oh no, you are not getting that." I placed it back on the shelf and walked over to the iPhones.

"Niall!" She whined, getting a few laughs from the workers. I picked out a silver iPhone 5 with a case and walked over to the counter with a pouty Natalie behind me.

The cashier laughed at us, scanning the items. "You must not like your boyfriend spending money on you."

"Oh I'm not-" I began to interject, when Natalie stepped in saying "Yep, but he does anyways."

I stared speechless as Natalie grabbed the bag and dragged me out of the store. I thought she just friend-zoned me a few minutes ago and now here she was going along with people calling me her boyfriend.

"Hey, you ok?" She turned to face me, her brown eyes studying mine. I shook my head but said yes. She raised a brow but continued to the car, me following silently.

"Okay it's seven, what do you want to do?" I asked, pulling my Ray Bans back over my eyes.

"Would you mind dropping me off at my house?" She quietly requested.

"Your wish is my command." I pretend bowed, making her giggle. I smiled knowing that I could at least make her laugh. She yawned and leaned against my arm.

"Go to sleep lovely." I wrapped my arm around her, Nat cuddling into my side. Within minutes I heard a light snore coming from her and sighed. I wanted to stay like this forever, with Natalie always around me, laughing at my jokes, cuddling up towards me. But as she slept soundly, looking innocent as ever, it made me realize that I wouldn't mind waiting around for this girl.

One more look at her confirmed that I could go an eternity and still wouldn't mind waiting for her. I guess that's what you would call true love.