Chapter 28- Forgiveness

I turned the key unlocking the door my heart was racing as I stepped in and slowly closed the door behind me. I tiptoed towards my room shutting it behind me and began stripping of my crumpled tired looking dress before I caught myself in the mirror. A tired tear stained face which had mascara stains all around my eyes and on my cheeks. I looked wild, crazy looking with with red lipstick smudged around my cheek and lips. I looked like a guilty looking slut.

Shaking my head in disappointment I grabbed my bath robe and opened the door slightly peaking through the gap hole to see if anyone was outside the door. I hadn't heard anyone but I was still paranoid someone might be home. I felt like a thief in my own home.

I walked towards the shower hurriedly turning the shower head on and stripping off the robe before stepping into the luke warm water. Grabbing the soap I began scrubbing any evidence of my sins from the night before, I was so submerged into trying to somehow scrub away the guilt of having sleeping with Dylan I hadn't realized that the water on my face wasn't the shower head but my own tears.

I sob escaped my lips as I squeezed my eyes shut and cleaned my my face.

***

I pulled the coat closer to my body shivering at the cold tucking my hands in my pocket as my backpack bounced behind me. I had reached Natalie's street it had taken me 40 minutes to get here and I was nervous and relieved at the same time that I would see her after two years.

I took my phone out of my pocket quickly texting her I had arrived before stepping up the marble steps and pressing the door bell I stood there waiting nervously.

A few minutes later the door was swung open and there standing before me was Natalie. I drew taking her in, she was still the beautiful mixed raced girl with curley brown hair and those pretty green eyes that bore into mine that I always envied to have.

"Hey", she said smiling at me cheerfully.

She pulled me into an awkward hug before releasing me.

"Hey to you too", I replied I felt awkward as we stood there in silence before she coughed awkwardly and spoke, "Come on in then".

I nodded smiling as I stepped into her apartment welcomed with pretty vases with roses and candle light vanilla scents. I followed behind her as she stepped into her living room and placed herself down on the sofa patting the seat next to her. I quietly seated myself realizing I didn't know what to say after all these years.

"So tell me Zara, what's been going on with you?", her voice full of concern.

"Okay", I paused trying to figure out how to start, "I know after you and Sean broke up I was angry that you hurt him and we argued. I shouldn't have done that, I was just angry I guess when you broke up with him and pushed me away, I was hurt." I paused looking at her face trying to read her facial expressions but they were unreadable so I continued.

"Why did you shut me out?", my voice broke and I didn't realize how much it had hurt me and how much I missed Natalie. I wanted to know why she decided we shouldn't have been friends.

Natalie's face softened as she reached out for my hand squeezing it, "I just.. in my stupid mind thought you'd be against me that you'd hate me. I guess it was more I hated myself, I hated myself for falling out of love with Sean. I knew I broke his heart when I told him. I guess I couldn't face you either, I just didn't want to be around you because you reminded me of all the happy times we all shared. I know it was selfish of me and I'm so sorry Zara. I really am. Especially as I wasn't the only one facing a guy problem. Damien messed you the fuck up and I should have been there for you", it was her voice now that cracked up as tears filled her forest green eyes and spilled out.

"Shouldn't that have been a good thing Natalie? The happy times we shared? We argued but we were best friends we were supposed to make up", I replied before wiping the tear that escaped and fell on my cheek.

"I know Z, I was just so confused, I needed space. I'm so sorry", her face looked at me pleadingly.

It was silence before I took a deep breath, I had, had enough of arguments and just wanted everything to be like they used too, "I guess we all needed space. I'm sorry too, for not being there for you when you needed me the most", I smiled through my tears.

"Let's start over", she said her eyes gleaming of excitement before she continued to speak, "All is forgiven?" She looked at me full of hopefulness.

I cracked a assuring smile, "All is forgiven. I missed you".

"I missed you too", she said as I reached out and hugged her, not the awkward one we had encountered but the 'I just got my best friend back and I missed the hell out of her' hug.

"Okay. Tell me everything. What's happened? Why were you so upset down the phone", she said her concern voice back.

I looked at her sighing as I ran my fingers through my long dark hair before saying, "Damien happened", my voice was full of bitterness and anger.

"What do you mean Damien happened," she said slowly.

"He's back, he goes to my uni now", I said narrowing my eyes.

"Okay I guess I've been missing out on a lot of shit that's happened. Start from the beginning", she said her eyes wide open.

So I sat there and told her everything.