Ch 8. The Scömiché Dance

The rest of the day seemed to slow down. Scott couldn't wait for the day to be over. He could barely contain his excitement. A night alone with Mitch. He was elated. Of course, this would put his self control to the ultimate test, but he'd worry about that later. 

He practically ran out the door when his classes were over. As he drove home he mentally went through his wardrobe trying to figure out what to wear.

This isn't a date. It's just a friend thing... with Mitch... who you can't stop thinking about. It's no big deal. It's just one of your best friends... who you can't stop picturing naked... who you keep dreaming about...who you can't stop wishing you could just throw against a wall and kiss breathless...

Scott couldn't hide his grin as he unlocked the door to his apartment and went inside. He looked over at Zac who had just emerged from his bedroom.

"Hey..."

Zac didn't look up as he disappeared into the kitchen with a short "hey."

Scott raised an eyebrow. Something was off. He dropped his bag onto the couch and followed his friend into the kitchen. "You ok?"

Zac was making himself a sandwich. He kept his gaze on it. "I broke up with Vanessa." He spoke so quietly Scott was sure he'd heard him wrong.

"What? Why?"

"Because I'm not in love with her."

"Zac..."

"What?" He finally looked up at Scott, their eyes locking. "Its not fair to her. She deserves more than a lie."

"Man, I'm sorry. Are you ok? I was going to Mitch's tonight for dinner, but I can stay here with you if you need me." He felt his heart sink. He'd been so excited...

Zac watched the expressions change on Scott's face. He wanted nothing more than to pour out his heart to his best friend. He had so much he wanted to say, so much he needed advice on. He was facing one of the biggest changes of his life, making the tough decisions. But no. Scott would be distracted anyway. He shook his head. "No, it's ok. I don't want to ruin your night" He shrugged a bit. He tried to appear strong for him. "I'll be fine."

Scott looked him over. Zac always seemed to take everything in stride. He couldn't imagine being so chill about it. Zac had let go of his normality, his future, his plan.

Scott wondered what that was like. He would be terrified.

"Did you tell her?"

Zac shook his head. "She doesn't need to know our secret. I mean, my secret."

Scott walked over behind him and rubbed the outsides of his arms and kissed the back of his neck gently.

"You'll be just fine. It's all going to be okay."

Zac nodded.

They stood like that for awhile, Scott's hands on his arms, his face nuzzling into the back of his neck.

Zac shook himself from the haziness that was clouding his judgment.

"You should go shower, you smell."

"You say that every day." Scott smiled against the back of his neck and placed a couple of kisses at the top of his spine.

"and every day you smell."

Scott laughed and popped him on the @$$ gently.

That finally got a laugh out of Zac

"ooo, you like that?"

He went to do it again but Zac was quicker and he turned around and grabbed Scott's wrist. Scott pouted and Zac leaned up to catch his bottom lip between his teeth gently tugging on it.