Ch 9. While You Were Sleeping

The air between them was heavy with anticipation.

Scott was so close. Mitch's body leaned in towards Scott as if the boy was somehow increasing his own gravitational pull. He could see Scott's eyes moving down his face to stare at his lips. This had to be happening. It HAD to.

Mitch opened his mouth to speak but quickly closed it as he noticed Scott starting to give in, his face coming closer...

Mitch's phone rang.

He decided to ignore it and hoped that Scott would too, but the moment was over. Scott had been shaken from his daze and he had realized what he had been so close to doing. He shifted and his fingers left Mitch's chin to tug at his hat nervously and he took a step back.

Mitch's heart fell in his chest like a rock.

Whoever you are, you are SOOOOO dead! I SWEAR...

Mitch clenched his teeth as he turned and walked over to the phone and looked at the caller ID. He made a face and rolled his eyes. Could she have any better timing?

"Hello?" He tried to make his voice sound as annoyed as he felt as he walked into the kitchen.

"How did it go? I waited until I was sure he'd be gone so I didn't interrupt anything! What did y'all do? Did anything happen?"

"Kirstie..."

"Did you tell him that you lurve him? You did, didn't you!"

"Kirstin!"

"Tell me!"

"Scott is still here! Also, I need you to do me a favor. Can you let them know we won't be in tomorrow? Just, make up an excuse..."

She was quiet for a few moments before she had an outburst. "Oh my God! Why is it that you get everyone you want! It's not even fair! How the heck did you do it!?"

"Its not like that...." I wish.

"MMmhmmm"

~

Scott swallowed and pretended to be going over the moves and not listening to the one side of the conversation he could hear.

He was still dwelling on his almost moment of weakness. Mitch had wanted it too, he could see it plain as day in his eyes. He had wanted him to kiss him. The disappointment he felt was substantial.

What would it have been like to just lean over a few inches and...

~

"I have to go. I'll call you tomorrow..."

"YOU'D BETTER! And Mittens, I want details, man... DETAILS...."

She was still rambling as he hung up the phone and moved back into the living room where Scott was.

"Sorry about that." He figured things were gonna be weird. Scott would probably leave and probably change his mind about tomorrow.

He would be devastated.

Mitch really wanted to go downstairs and wring Kirstie's neck.

"S'ok." Scott shrugged it off as if nothing had happened. He'd learned a few acting pointers from his roommate.

"So...." Mitch chewed at his lip, unsure of what to say. He rocked back and forth on his feet, nervously.

"So, you should probably pay attention this time." Scott smirked and showed him the move again, the one he'd been too busy daydreaming to learn.

Mitch blushed but paid attention this time...well...sort of. He paid attention to Scott's body and the way everything seemed so elongated and sharp, yet graceful... the length of his fingers... his long torso...those hips...