Ch 40. Isolation Island

Scott was a wreck.

Kirstie was having a tough time keeping him together.

She asked him if she could call Mitch, but he just wanted time alone. He didn’t think he could mourn the loss of Zac with Mitch there. It wouldn't feel right.

“I deserve to feel it. I made him feel this way, now it’s my turn to hurt.”

She cried with him, feeling the guilt at being an accomplice in trying to tear them apart. Scott tried to tell her that she should never be upset for helping her best friend, but that hadn’t helped. She had still known what was going to happen, but she hadn’t thought ahead enough to realize Scott would not only be losing someone that was in love with him, he would also be losing HIS best friend as well.

She hadn’t thought that far, and now she felt horrible.

Poor Scott just couldn’t catch a break. He didn’t know what he was going to do without Zac. He had always been there, a constant source of love and safety, but that was gone.

Kirstie hated hearing the words that Scott whimpered out, suddenly glad that she hadn’t asked Mitch to help comfort him. The blonde was obviously not thinking straight. He said that he regretted his decision. He said that he thought he’d chosen wrong. He wanted to change his mind.  Kirstie wanted to slap him just for saying it, but she knew he was just so upset and torn. That still didn’t mean she had to like it.

Then the kicker.

“I should’ve just stayed with Angel.”

She pulled back and made Scott look at her. “Please tell me you didn’t just say what I think you just said.”

“She was perfect for me, but I chose him instead. How do I always choose him? Why?"

“Because you love him, dumbass.”

“What if it isn’t enough.”

“Scott, you have to give him a chance.”

“I’ve given him plenty of chances, Kit! How many times have I had to run crying to Zac? How many times have I had to come to you because I couldn’t take it anymore? How many times does it take for me to get that he’s wrong for me?”

“He’s not!

“What if he is? Or, maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way. What if I’m just wrong for him? What if we love each other so much we can’t see that we’re bad for each other? What if he’s supposed to be with someone else and I’m keeping him from that?  Do you know how many times in all of the years I’ve known him that Zac has made me cry?”

Kirstie chewed on her lip.

“One. Today and it’s not his fault. It’s mine. I’m such an idiot.”

He buried his face in Kirstie again and she tightened her arms around him.

“Please don’t push Mitch away again. He loves you so much. It would ruin him if you change your mind now.”

Scott didn’t answer just curled into her. He cried off and on for the next hour, finally crying himself to sleep against her. She didn’t know what was going to happen, but this wasn’t looking so good for any of them. She just hoped Scott calmed down and pulled himself together.

She sent a text to Mitch, just so he knew what was going on.

Kirstie: just wanted to let u know Scott is here he told zac went not so good But he needs a bit of space right now. hes kinda sorta super messed up