Ch 31. Here at the End of All Things Pt. 1

Kirstie didn’t stay on the phone long. She made up an excuse that Jeremy was still there. Scott had called to see if she knew where Mitch was. He just wanted to make sure he was ok because he wasn’t answering his phone. 

Gee, I wonder why.

Of course she knew where he was. He was above her head doing just fine. 

Suddenly his voice rang out. He was getting louder and louder. Scott, thankfully, didn’t hear him but it was enough to get her to quickly end the conversation. 

She didn’t know what she was going to do. Mitch was her friend, her best friend for years… but could she really keep this from Scott? Really? 

Why would Mitch have even ever THOUGHT to do something like this. 

It made no sense! He always seemed so in love with Scott, it had given her hope that real love did exist and that one day she'd find her own Scott. So what happened?

Yeah, Evan was good looking, hot or whatever, but he was a cocky asshole. 

Mitch always acted like he hated him. He complained about him every second. 

It made no damn sense.

She wanted to ask Mitch about it, but when she saw him the next morning it was weird. She just wanted to avoid him. She couldn’t look him in the eye. She couldn’t be around him without seeing… it. Them.

She made polite conversation but she kept her eyes on her feet. 

She almost hoped that Mitch would tell her, but he didn’t. 

When he asked if she wanted to hang out that night she made up an excuse and all but ran off to her class leaving him completely confused.

.

Mitch wondered what Kirstie’s problem was, but he had no clue that she knew. 

He himself was still wrapping his head around it. He wasn’t sure HOW it had happened exactly.

Evan had come to class and had, for once, been tolerable. 

It gave Mitch a chance to really watch him. Evan was extremely talented. He was a quick learner and he had beautiful technique, but there was something else. He had something raw about him, something rough around the edges. 

Evan was beautiful when he danced. Gorgeous. His lines, his turns, his extension... 

It was when he opened his mouth that turned people off. 

But that day was different. He’d been unusually quiet. The time went faster than it normally did and before he knew it their hour was up. 

“So what’s got your panties in a twist?” Evan asked him as he drank some water. 

“Nothing.” 

“Liar. C’mon, tell me.” 

“Everyone’s busy tonight. I just felt like doing something, or just hanging out or, I don’t know.” Mitch shrugged. 

“I’ll hang out with ya. We can watch a movie at your place.” 

Mitch gave him a 'you're kidding, right' look -   “We can barely go an hour without killing each other.”

“We seem to be doing fine right now.” 

Mitch tossed him another skeptical look. Could he really hang out with Evan without strangling him? 

“C’mon… it’s guaranteed to not be boring!” Evan grinned. 

Mitch couldn’t deny he was right. Even if he was arguing with Evan all night it would be better than sitting alone missing Scott.  He wrote down his address.