Ch 36. Ruined

The next day was a rough one. He didn't want Zac to leave him, but it was only for 3 days. He could survive on his own for that long. 

Still, he felt an extra weight on his heart as he insisted on driving him to the airport, just to spend a little more time with him. Zac assured him it was only for a few days and that things were going to be just fine. He'd be back to annoy the hell out of him before he could even miss him.

Scott knew that was a lie. He was going to miss the hell out of him and he told him so as he went inside with Zac as far as he could go.

Zac had been such a huge source of strength for him since he and Mitch had split. He'd been there every second that Scott had needed him, just like he had always been, but things were different this time. Zac was something entirely different to him now. He was so much more.

And things were confusing at the moment and he hated that Zac was leaving him now of all times.

He wasn't even sure how to sort through his own brain to figure out what he wanted to do or how he felt. His visit with Mitch had caused a hurricane in his head and he was still sifting through the debris.

Thankfully no one recognized Zac in his hat and sunglasses because after Scott hugged him again, making him promise to call as soon as he landed, Zac couldn’t help himself and he tilted his chin upwards and kissed him sweetly.

Scott blushed at the public display, but he didn’t freak out like he would have before. He was becoming more and more comfortable with himself every day.

He was more surprised by the fact that Zac had risked it, but he was about to get even more of a shock.

When Zac reached the escalator and stepped on he turned back to Scott. 

“Scott!”

“What!?” Scott couldn’t help but laugh at the stupid grin on Zac’s face as he yelled through the noise.

“I love you! I’m in love with you!”

“What!?” Scott couldn’t believe it…

 "I love you. I’ll see you when I get back” and just like that he was out of sight.

Scott couldn’t move.

LAX was too busy for anyone to notice him or even care that he was there.

Zac was in love with him and he’d kissed him right in the middle of a crowded airport.

He should have been excited. He should have been jumping for joy. He should have been happy, anyone in their right mind would have been.

But all he could think about…

was Mitch.

Mitch had ruined what should have been that perfect moment, his perfect moment.

The perfect moment that he'd always dreamed of where the person he loved declared that they loved him too. 

The problem wasn't that he didn't love Zac. 

The problem was that the perfect moment didn't include Mitch...

and that just ruined it.

~~

Mitch woke up to an aching stomach.

He realized he hadn’t eaten in awhile, courtesy of heartache, so he made himself a bowl of cereal and decided to re-read Scott’s journal from the beginning again.