Chapter 7: Everybody Lies

Jughead POV 

'Since I started the investigation with Harding I'd come to learn somethings. Things that change your perspective on life and people in general. Maybe the worlds more than the black and white that we try portray it to be. Maybe there's a billion shades in between that people are too scared to venture into. But then there's people like Harding, like the Blossoms who have never known what it was like to live in the world where only black and white existed. They have the power to change our morals, change society and how people view the world. 

I've learned things, some good some bad but one that I still don't know, that I still question. Is anyone truely bad? Is anyone truely good?'

I looked upon the article that I'd started the day I learned of werewolves, the day I became one. Harding said when writing this article that being vague will help me secure my thoughts whilst not revealing what I really know. No matter how much I try perused Harding to interview Clifford Blossom he was still adamant that we needed to wait until the right time came. 

"Hey son, what ya doing?" Asked my father who came into my bedroom doorway breaking me from my musing. 

"Just updating my article, thinking mostly though" I told him as I looked upon the clock on my computer screen and saw that I'd been staring into space for the last 15 minutes. 

"How's it going?" Asked my dad as he came and sat on my bed towards my left as I rubbed my eyes tiredly contemplating my answer before eventually letting one escape my lips. 

"The articles fine, I think just Harding is making the whole investigation go slower than nessesary" I told him so he nodded his head laughing slightly, at what who knows. 

"Sounds like him. He's been doing this for awhile. He'll go by his predetorial instincts. Lure in the prey and attack when least expected" was all he told me before leaving me alone to my thoughts. 

-TIMESKIP- 

The next day found me in class about the time Harding would usually come pull me out so we could either 'investigate' (goof off) or werewolf training. Except he didn't show. My friends and girlfriend all looked at me confused whilst I just sat impatiently preparing to skip next class to find out what happened since nobody was answering my texts. 

I looked to my left, towards the windows and saw Cheryl say dazed and very in-Cheryl like. Instead of the near perfection she usually tried to achieve she was wearing a oversized jumper and baggy jeans her hair tied up in a messy bun without her usual array of make-up on her face. I frowned concerned about the girl although her family is technically considered the enemy, being werewolf hunters and all. 

After class I walked out of the room, avoiding my friends as I rushed to catch up to Cheryl after she left class rather adruptly. Once I reached her side I held my hand out to stop her and she jumped as though she wasn't aware of her surroundings. "Cheryl, you okay?" I asked and she seemed to panic slightly before grabbing my hand in a bruising grip which if I wasn't recently turned would have left marks.

"I need to tell someone even though I shouldn't but please don't laugh at me" she said tears in her eyes as she pulled me into a janitors closet. I nodded my head having a slight idea at where she was going. "Yesterday my parents sat me down and told me that the maple syrup company is just a facade. That there are people that aren't human, werewolves, living with us. That they kill people and hurt them make them monsters. Dad told me that we hunt them and that Jason died learning how to hunt" she said lightly breaking down. I pulled her into a hug as she sobbed into my chest. What she was told was all wrong, Harding isn't a monster neither is my dad or any other Serpents. Should I tell her? 

"Look why don't we skip school today so you can process some stuff Okay?" I Said to her trying to calm her which seemed to work as she nodded her head as leaned back wiping her eyes wiping away stray tears. When Cheryl was ready we made our way out of the school just in time to see a black Camaro skid to a stop infront of the school. Smoke bellowed from the tires as black marks were left on the road. When the car stopped the door opened and Harding got out of the car tripping over nothing and falling over behind the still open car door. 

"Issac what the hell are you doing?" I shouted to him as I walked down the steps of the school with Cheryl following behind. He stood up like nothing happened brushing his clothes down turning to me faking shock, probably for Cheryl's benefit. 

"We have ntervirws to conduct, starting with Clifford Blossom" he said in a light tone as if we weren't about to interview the main suspect. 

"You can't I need to report some evidence" Said Cheryl quickly making us both ten to her in shock. 

"Let me guess you found out the family secret?" Said Harding with a smirk although Cheryl just looked shocked. "Werewolf hunters, killing the nasty big bad to save humanity" he said slightly sardonically, smirking at Cheryl. 

"How do you know?" She asked quietly, shocked at how he found out before her. She then seemed angry turning to me and I knew I'd been caught. "You knew?" She hissed at me like a snake. 

"Yes he knew and I know because I'm a hunter too" he said lying his ass off hoping to protect the pack although I feel like that isn't the only reason why. 

"You are?" She asked turning to Harding shock. 

"Yep And Jughead here is a hunter in training" he said with an air of finality directed towards me that Cheryl didn't seem to pick up on. "Now time to interview the Blossom family head hunter" he said although could he just say patriarch?

"Wouldn't it be patriarch?" Questioned Cheryl stealing the words from my mouth before I could utter them. 

"Nope that goes to the females. The men are the warriors and the females are the strategists the leaders" he explained as he got into his car me and Cheryl following suit. "Although that's only in hunter families, lone hunters such as myself and Jughead here hunt anywhere and everywhere unlike families who have territories they protect" he said and we all then lapsed into silence until Harding turned the radio on. Everybody lies by Jason Walker came on, the irony. We arrived at Thornhill just as the song finished due to Hardings speeding that would be appropriate on a race track but a smalll town road works as well. 

"Time to face the devil" oh how true that statement is.