Prologue Part 4

The next thing we knew, a half white half black bear jumped up from behind the podium at the back of the gym.

"Huh?" Chihiro said. "A . . . teddy bear?"

"Maybe it's the school's mascot?" I questioned. I realized then how much I try to contradic stuff.

"I'm not a teddy bear!" it said. Wait WHAT?!

"I . . . am . . . Monokuma!" it continued. "And I am this school's headmaster!"

"The HEADMASTER?!" This blew my mind, but it had to be a joke. There's no way this thing was this school's headmaster.

"Nice to meet you all!" the bear called Monokuma greeted us.

"Wh-? Waaaaaah! That teddy bear can talk!" Hifumi screeched.

"Calm down!" Taka began to reason. "I'm sure there's just a speaker inside it."

"I told you already, I'm not a teddy bear . . ." Monokuma seemed to get more adjitated by those worse and I couldn't help but feel so much fear just by looking at him. "I'm Monokuma! And I'm your headmaster!"

"Waaaaaah!" Hifumi screamed again. "It moved!"

"Seriously man, calm down!" Mondo yelled back. "It's prolly just a remote control toy or somethin'."

"How dare you compare me to a child's plaything!" Monokuma grew depressed. "You've cut me deep. Deeper than the Mariana Trench. . . . My remote control system is so complex, even the folks at NASA can't recreate or even comprehend it! Ah, but don't make me say stuff that might destroy NASA's dreams. I just couldn't BEAR that!" His mood seemed to work like a light switch, flipping from one to another.

"'Bear' that? Really?" Celeste shook her head at that. "You are . . . unfortunate."

"But if no big corperation like NASA made you," I started, looking him over, "then who did and why are you here?"

"One," he began, "that's none of your business. And two, I'll gladly explain, as long as everyone can accept I'm a bear and your headmaster, okay? Okay! We must hurry and get started anyways."

"Giving up already?" Junko joked uncomfortably. "No other stupid bear puns?"

Monokuma ignored her. "Quiet down now, quiet down. Ah, okay, so . . .!"

"He has abandoned the gag . . ." Sakura answered Junko's question.

"Everyone, stand at attention and bow! And . . . good morning!" What is he going on about?

"Good morning!!!" Taka replied, doing exactly as Monokuma said.

"Y-You don't have to s-say it back . . ." Toko told him.

"Now then," Monokuma started, let us commence with a most noteworthy and memorable entrance ceremony!" I think all this on its own will be 'noteworthy' enough already.

"First, let's talk a bit about what your school life here will be like. Now, ah, make no mistake - you few students, so full of potential, represent the hope of the world. And to protect such splendid hope . . . you will all live a communal life together solely within the confides of this school. Everyone will live in harmony together, and adhere to the rules and regulations of the school.

"Ah, now then . . . reguarding the end date of this communal life. . . . There isn't one!"

"What!?" I yelled, unsure if I heard him right.

"In other words, you'll all be here until the day you die! Such is the school life you've been assigned."

"Wh-What did he just say?" Toko stuttered. "Until the day we d-die. . .?"