Chap. 1 Class Trial Part 3

"Then . . ." Makoto began in a sweat, "Sayaka is the one who took the knife. . .?"

"That's the only possibility," Sakura replied with her eyes closed and arms crossed. "And thinking back on it, she was acting kind of unusual. . . .

"When she came into the dining hall, she didn't even look at us. She just went straight to the kitchen. As she left, she said she just wanted a drink of water. But most likely. . . ."

"Then the person who took the knife was the victim herself!" Taka proclaimed.

Makoto looked at everyone nervously as most of us took in this new information. "I'm sure . . . I'm sure she just took it for self-defense. . . ." He's trying to defend her. Who knows what she planned to do with that knife anyways.

"So you're saying the knife she took . . ." Byakuya said in thought, "was then taken from her, and she was killed with it?" He then looled at Hina. "In that case, you may not have taken the knife, but you still could have killed her."

"What!?" Makoto yelled. Byakuya was right. Now we can't rely on the knife taker, we have to rely on anything else.

"S-See!?" Toko shouted with a blush. "He did do it, a-after all!"

"No, you're wrong!"

"Makoto's right," I replied, turning my attention to Toko. "I'm sorry Toko, but you can't keep relying on the crime being in Makoto's room. Like I said before, that's what the killer wants you to think so you vote wrong!"

"(yn) is right," Kyoko chimed in. "It's still to early to decide conclusively that Makoto is the killer, wouldn't you say?" Toko stayed quite after that.

"Because, you see, if the room did belong to the killer, then they did something most bewildering. And until we unravel that little mystery, you simply can't declare that he's the killer."

"Bewildering?" Mondo backed up our conversation. "What the hell are you talking about!?"

With a hand on her chin, Kyoko responded. "Something was missing from the scene of the crime that by all rights should have been there." She looked at Makoto. "You know what I'm talking about, don't you?"

Makoto was silent, thinking for about a quick minute, then his eyes lit up.

"That's right!" he exclaimed. "There wasn't a single hair on the floor!" My eyes lit up as well. I completely forgot about that.

"So . . ." Chihiro started, "the culprit removed some evidence?"

"Yes. And if I were the culprit . . . why would I need to get rid of all the hair in my own room? It wouldn't be unusual at all to find my hair at the crime scene, if the crime scene is in my room."

"The reason all the hair was gone . . ." Celeste tried to conclude on my right, "was to remove trace that Sayaka had ever been there. That makes sense, does it not?"

"No," Kyoko argued. "If that were the case, they would have had to do something about the body itself, not just her hair."

"Ah-ha-ha!" Hifumi bellowed. "Yes, very true, very true!"

Leon crossed his arms. "Okay, then why wasn't there any hair on the ground?"

"The killer got rid of it all, of course," Kyoko responded. "To remove any trace that *they* had ever been there."

"Wait," Mondo started with a shocked face, "then that means. . .!"

"Precisely. It's simply beyond reason to believe that the room's owner and the killer are one in the same."