Chapter 1 Investigation Part 1

Makoto stepped behind me and looked over my shoulder as I opened the file. I began to read it out loud.

"'The victim was Sayaka Maizono,'" it read. "'The time of death is estimated to be around 1:30 a.m. The body was discovered in Makoto's room, in the dormitory. All evidence suggests that the death took place in the bathroom.

"'The cause of death was a stab wound to the abdomen. There was also an injury to her right wrist. Specifically, the wrist appears to have suffered a fracture.'" I closed the file and looked to Makoto, him thinking.

"I guess now's a good time to head back to the crime scene," he suggested.

"You gonna be okay?" I asked, mainly suggesting Sayaka's corpse.

He nodded. "Yeah, I'll be fine." I nodded back and we left for the dormitories.

We soon arrived at his dorm and opened the door, Mondo and Sakura standing in the center of the room and Kyoko standing near the bathroom.

I turned the corner and looked at the scratch marks on the wall near the bathroom. There were scratch marks other places too, like his bed and the floor.

"Is that . . ." Makoto began, "evidence of a struggle?"

"If it isn't, the someone must've invited the local tornado in or something." I tried to lighten the mood and that made Makoto laugh a little which made me smile. At least we're back on the same foot.

He looked around the room for a second. "Dammit. . .!" he exclaimed. "I was right there in the other room! If only I'd heard something!"

"That would not have been possible," Sakura jumped in.

"Huh. . .?"

"Don't you remember? All the rooms are completely soundproof. So something could happen in the room right next to you, and there's no way you could know." She exhaled lightly through her nose and shook her head. "Perhaps this was another of Monokuma's strategies, creating an ideal setting for murder. . . ." Makoto was silent.

Makoto then made his way towards the sword on the ground. He looked at it for a little bit.

"On top of that. . . ." It seemed he was thinking out loud. "There's a lot of gold missing from the blade and handle."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He stood up and turned to me. "I grabbed this sword from the gym entrance for self defense. Well, in case I ever needed it. When you grab it, the fake gold covering it sticks to you very well, even if you just touch it a little." I was kind of tempted to touch the sword to see it for myself, but figured that wouldn't be smart at a crime scene.

We looked around the room and found more clues, like Makoto's lint roller having been used, the sword's sheath having scratches on it, Makoto's room key being on the floor and his toolkit being unopened. Then it was time to head towards the death scene; the bathroom. But, we stopped to talk to Kyoko before we did.

"Hey Kyoko," Makoto greeted. Since she was squatting down and investigating the area nearby, she didn't acknowledge him at first.

"What are you doing. . .?" he tried again and this time she answered.

"Isn't it obvious?" Kyoko replied

"N-No, not really. . . ."

"I'm searching."

"Searching. . .? Did you lose a contact or something?" she didn't reply at first, but then stood up and asked him something.

"Are you a clean freak?"