30. Memories of Strife

(Johnny POV)

"How did it go?" 

Ashley asked as I gently closed out bedroom door behind me. 

"He left to go see his girlfriend. I think he just needs time," I explain as I kick off my shoes. Ash comes out of the closet, taking a small break from packing up our clothes and I try to give him a weak smile.

 "At least I didn't get a suitcase thrown in my face this time," I huff and he laughs while rolling his eyes. 

"You needed a hard shove and I just gave it to you," he explains as he ducks back in. 

"A hard shove?! You call tossing my three kids and I on a twelve-hour flight to a different country after comiting fraud and buying this house in my name a shove?! That's like saying 'oh sorry I thought you needed a surprise stabbing'," I say as I unbutton my shirt. 

Trying to get the long sleeve over the hard cast on my broken arm with my non-dominant left arm wasn't working out for me.

 "You survived the stabbing did you not?" He calls back and I can feel the smirk he hates so much, spread across my lips. 

"Not without a few cuts and bruises," I sigh. Leaving my shirt unbuttoned and giving up on getting it off after struggling with the cast. I don't even know how I got it on with this stupid thing. 

"Come on, it wasn't that bad!" He calls out and I roll my eyes. 

"I would say otherwise," I mutter under my breath.

 "I heard that!" Ash yells back as I start to brush my teeth. 

 I sigh as I look out the window.

 The ice skating rink at Central Park was just in view. 

"We had a few ups and downs the first year but we survived." I hear Ash call out but I ignore him as I watch the light reflecting off the rink.

 The memories start to flood in, memories I had replayed over and over again the last few months. 

When I was alone, unable to sleep in an empty bed, memories of Ash would always find a way in. 

There were six years of memories but our first year together was truly unforgettable.

I spit into the sink and put my toothbrush on the bathroom counter, slowly looking up and gazing into the mirror. But once I see the reflection I quickly dart my eyes away.

 I hadn't been able to actually look into a mirror in months because of the hurtful thoughts that flooded my mind.

 Stupid?

 yes. Untrue?possibly.

 But...

"You okay?"

 I turn my head to see Ash leaning against the closet doorway. His arms crossed as I can practically see his thought process with the wheels turning while he examines me up and down.