51. The Accident

Present day

(Ash POV)

I open my eyes to find the officer staring at me with an impatient glare. 

"Sir with all respect, the other man just got out of surgery and we need to know who he is before he wakes up,"

 She announces and I finally tug at the white sheet out of spite and anger for this stupid woman. 

But once I see the hand I collapse.

The relief floods my veins as I fall to my knees with pure joy that this was not Jonathan. His hands were a shade too light and his nails were too long to be Jonathan's.

"Where's my husband?"  

"Sir! Mr. Grayson sir! Please wait!" 

The nurses charge behind me as I go full steam ahead, leaving them behind to approach Jonathan's hospital room and bursting in through the door. Plowing through the team of nurses and doctors surrounding him. I make my way forward to see Peter looking as pale as a ghost, standing in front of Johnny with a small light. 

"Ash?" 

I shove the doctors aside and pull Johnny into a tight hug, thankful to have him alive and somewhat normal looking. 

But he doesn't hug me back

"Ashley, stop," Peter pulls on my shoulder and slowly pulls me back. I look at him confused.

"Peter, What happened? Is he okay?" I ask and his hand slips from his chest to his pocket. 

'Wait, you're not Peter. Why are you wearing his name tag? My brother is like twelve years old and just entered med school," Jonathan says out of the blue and I turn back to him in shock. 

 "J-Jonathan...Who am I?" I stutter as I ask him but his face was blank.

There was no light in his eyes and I was suddenly terrified. 

"You're Ashley Karasuma, you're my best friend but what's going on, why did you call that man Peter?"  He asks as I grip his shoulder, feeling my nails dig into his collarbone.  

"He doesn't remember Ash. He thinks it's 2104," The Peter says and I shake my head. 

"No...no, no, no, you have to remember, Jonathan...who am I to you?" This must be a mistake. 

This must be a nightmare. 

"Ashley, he was in an accident and hit his head which leads to a brain hemorrhage. He must have also suffered amnesia as well," Peter tries to intervene but I shove him aside and grab Jonathan, looking into those crystal gray eyes, a small confused smirk suddenly appears

I pull back.....

And  punch him in the face with all the strength I had left. Peter jets forward to pull me back. 

"OW! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT FOR!" He yells at me and out of anger, relief, frustration, and sadness I force Peter back and tackle Jonathan on the hospital bed to the gasps of the doctors. 

"HOW COULD YOU SCARE ME LIKE THAT! I FUCKING HATE YOU! WHY DID I MARRY YOU! I HAD TO IDENTIFY YOUR DEAD FUCKING BODY AND SUDDENLY YOU ACT LIKE YOU FORGET WHO I AM, FUCK YOU! I HOPE YOU DIE ALONE IN A HOLE DEEP ENOUGH TO HOLD YOUR SARCASTIC ASS BULLSHIT!" I scream and he pulls me into his arms after I get a few good hits into this dumbass. 

"I'M ALREADY INJURED FATASS, GET OFF ME!" he screams back and Jonathan finally hold my arms so I could no longer hit him with my fist but it didn't stop me from kneeing him in the balls. He yelps in pain and kicks me back. 

"WHAT ARE YOU FIVE!? STOP HITTING EACH OTHER AND TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON!" Peter yells at both of us and we stop. 

"He was kidding,"

"I was not, I honestly forgot until you punched me in the face,"

"I saw your stupid smirk,"

"I ALWAYS HAVE A STUPID SMIRK!"

"I give up on both of you," Peter chuckles softly as he rolls his eyes and walks away. 

"Only you could find the perfect way to bring me out of amnesia," Jonathan says as he rubs his bruised cheek and I punch his shoulder. 

"You were in a fucking accident dumbass! They had me look at another body in the morgue to see if it was you!" I yell at him and he suddenly stops laughing. 

"What? Wait, where's Chris?" He asks and I suddenly soften when the dots are connected. 

"I was bringing him to you," Jonathan says as his gaze meets mine. 
"I'm so sorry Johnny, he must have pushed you out of the way or something,"
"This is my fault," 
"You couldn't have known,"

Silence fills the room before he chokes out a cry.

"Oh god, I killed my only friend,"

"You didn't kill him Johnny! Whoever was driving the fucking semitruck did,"

"But I was there! He has SIX BOYS AT HOME!"

"If you had tried to save him it would be him sitting here instead of you!"

I grab him and hold him in my arms as he weeps, the anger leaving my body as he clings to me. Thankful for Chris because without him, I would have lost my second chance at life.