34. Married To Another Man

(^Johnny POV)

(^Johnny POV)

"Are you going to ignore me for the entire flight again?"

Ashley asks as I quickly steal the window seat and he comes next to me with AJ and Fin behind us.

"I'm thinking about it," I huff as I sit down with my backpack in front of me. Quickly unzipping it and pulling out my active noise-canceling headphones to block the sound of his voice. A man can only take so much nagging and I wished I had these for the flight coming here.

I place them over my ears only to have them yanked until they fall around my neck.

"Really Johnny? We haven't even tried talking yet!" He yells at me.

"That's the point." I get a sharp smack as penance for my sarcasm.

"God damn Finley, we haven't taken off yet and your parents are already beating each other up. How do you feel about that bro?" I can hear AJ ask his little brother.

"Isn't that what normal parents do?"

Finley's little voice comes through the crack in the seats and I can't help but think of that time we were cooking and he described love as hitting and fighting each other. I instantly look to the future and feel bad for anyone who comes across our kid and tries to date him.

I ignore their conversation and peer out the window as we're taxied to take off.

"What could you possibly want to talk about for twelve hours?" I ask and Ash just hums.

"I dunno, anything really," he says as I watch out the window.

I had my chin rested in the palm of my left hand, but my right hand was still draped on my lap.

I feel his smooth hand slide onto my lap but ignore it. Figuring he probably just accidentally put his hand there without realizing it. I kept telling myself it was accidental until his hand slowly took over mine and our fingers purposefully intertwined.

Holy shit, was Ash actually holding my hand right now?

Who is this guy?

I can feel the cool metal of the black wedding ring on his left hand just grace my skin.

"I'm surprised you're wearing it," I mumble but he picks up on it and shakes his head as I turn to him.

"I am married aren't I?" he says with a smoothness in his tone that made me jealous of his confidence.

"Yeah, I just figured you burned it or buried it in a ditch. Something deep and dramatic. Maybe put it in a coffin and had a funeral for it while An-hell read a eulogy," I suggest and Ash chuckles softly.

"No, I just put it in a box and tossed it in the sock drawer like a normal person, " he rolls his eyes, continuing to grip my hand, just running his thumb in small comforting circles.

"You've changed Ash. You've changed a lot," I confided and he raises a dark brow in response.

"Wow, so you have noticed, and here I was thinking I really did marry an idiot," he smirks and I try to pull my hand away but he holds on tight.

"I retract my previous statement," I huff in a as much anger as being stuck on a twelve-hour flight with only two inches between you allows.

"Nope, our marriage doesn't work like that. Unspoken rule, what's said is said and can't ever be taken back," He retorts and I go back to looking out the window.

"Are you sure there's nothing you've ever said that you're just itching to take back?" I sighed as I watched the plane take off, trying to get comfortable with my head against the window.

"I never said that. There are plenty of things I regret telling you and I've made a lot of mistakes these past few years. But I like to think I've learned from my regrets and became a better man...just for you,"

My heart does that stupid thing where it stops for a few seconds at his kind words that always hit me when I least expect it.

"Why do you always get so fucking philosophical for no reason?" I blurt out and he just laughs.

"I don't fucking know. You do something weird to me. You turned me into this! I blame you!" He exclaims out loud and I turn back to him.

"I did nothing to you! You just decided to go the extra fucking mile! I didn't ask you to change our entire relationship dynamic or to stop being such a sarcastic shitbag, you chose to do it all by yourself." I hiss as I poke his shoulder.

We were just inches apart as he gazes into my eyes with that beautiful hazel spark of attitude. He finally lets go of my hand and raises it to caress my cheek. I lean back in my seat while still facing him, taking in his warm touch.

"Aish, Johnny can't you see I did this for you, I did this because I love you, I did all this shit because you're my favorite dumbass," he says in all seriousness, gently brushing his fingers through my hair as I close my eyes.

"You're favorite dumbass huh? So there are other dumbasses out there, I'm not the only one?" I say sarcastically and open my eyes again to his unamused, narrowed eyes.

"Yes, you're the only one. Stop being so sensitive," He whispers gently, staring into my eyes with the greatest amount of love and curiosity.

"Kiss me," I whisper back but he quickly pulls back.

"I can't," He replies simply as he drops his hand from my cheek, feeling my bicep instead.

"Why not?" I pout, greedy with the desire to feel that delicious hum work its way across my lips.

"Because if I do, I won't be able to stop. And our boys are right behind us," he says with a small smirk.

"Why do you pick the worst times to turn me on with your stupid words," I say as I pull away from him. Wanting a break from the buzzing tension that consumed my body. But it refuses to go away.

"I dunno, I could probably fall face first and eat shit on the side of the road and you'd still find it attractive whilst laughing your ass off at my struggle," he says and I try to contain my laughter while slowly drifting to his shoulder. His arm works its way around me and he pulls me closer.

"You're right, I would," I answer as I try to regain composure.

"Of course I'm right, I know you like the back of my hand, Jonathan Grayson. I always have since we were like five," He says and tilts his head down, gently kissing my cheek.

"Can't you be wrong for once?" I ask and he shakes his head in response.

"I was wrong. Once." He sighs and I try to think about all his mistakes.

"Which time? There are quite a few to choose from hon," I snuggle my head on his shoulder and close my eyes to fall asleep. "

I dunno. Pick one," He says and I try to pick, but it was impossible to choose just one so instead, I stay silent and try to sleep.