47. The Meaning of Friendship

(^Christopher Caspian POV)

I pick up my leather boot from the floor, adjusting it to my right foot and pulling the zipper while deep in thought. I let go of my foot and it smacks the ground with a loud thump.

"Daddy...It's too big," Jamie whined as I place the boot on my eldest son's foot. 

"You just need to break them in kiddo," I rubbed his shoulder as I zipped up his winter jacket. "

Okay daddy," My quiet six-year-old sighed. Before following me out the door and into the snowy driveway. 

My wife had said something before we left, but I couldn't remember the sound of her voice nevermind the words she used. 

Jamie crawled into the front seat by himself and buckled up before I reversed out of the driveway. But just before turning out onto the main road I took a look over at my son. His long wavy brown hair tousled at his shoulders, a small green beanie with a frog face that kept his head warm as he reached out his little hand and turned the vent towards his face. His cheeks were a perfect rosy pink against his pale skin and his big brown eyes were conservative as he quietly sits back. He was always so shy, ever since he was a baby.

 "Jamie," I called his name and he looked up at me. 

"Yes," He pouted with his perfect pink lips. 

My son was beautiful.

 "You know I love you right?" I had asked him and he nodded quietly. 

"And if I ever left you would stay strong for your mom and brothers right?" I asked nodded again with a worried frown.

 "But you're not going anywhere right daddy?"

A sharp knock disturbs my thoughts. It was too early for the nurse drones to be bothering me with needles and medications.

 "Come in?" I call out and the door slowly opens as I wipe the small tears from the corners of my eyes.

 "Good morning," I recognized Jonathan's deep, husky voice as he steps into my hospital room. 

"Hey! what brings you here so early?" I chuckle with a small sniffle. Hoping the tears don't show. 

"Well...I don't really know, I just thought I'd check up on you is all. I had nothing better to do," he shrugs as he closes the door behind him and stuffs his hands in his pockets. 

"I'm sure your husband had a field day with that one, come on over Johnny, You're standing all awkward like we aren't friends," I coax him and his small smile could make anyone's day. He finally comes over and sits in the chair next to my bed.