Does Anyone Even look at These?

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

AN: Because I am including characters from Nightfall, you are now spoiler warned for Nightfall. So if you haven't read that yet, go read that, then come back and read this.

Sophie slumped, dejected, against the wall. She was tired. She had stayed up until two in the morning, and it was now approaching dawn. She found the snugest bit of floor and curled up.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. A voice resonated in her skull. Sophie couldn't tell if it was said out loud or directly into her thoughts.

One day living in luxury, the next in prison, the escape plan horribly awry. An ironic laugh echoed through her ears, vibrating her skull.

"Who are you?" Sophie exclaimed, slowly turning in a circle. The voice quieted.

Silence. Our captors will hear you.

Sophie was now sure the voice was solely in her head, so she tried replying likewise.

Who are you? She sent the query out telepathically, hoping it would reach the being the voice belonged to. As it reached the entity, Sophie could sense a giant and powerful mind, a consciousness greater than even Mr. Forkle's had been.

She stifled that thought. She couldn't think of him. Not right now. Maybe not ever.

Ah. The voice sounded wistful. I wish it were that simple.

What do you mean? Sophie tried to sound brave, but failed, a fact confirmed by the hint of amusement in the reply.

I am not a who, I don't think. And I don't know what I am anymore. Our captors have stolen that from me.

Sophie couldn't quite decide whether the voice was male or female.

I'm sorry, she responded.

Don't be. I cannot remember much, but I know I deserve this, and much worse, for the curses I have inflicted upon humanity.

My very name means doomed might.

And I am not your friend.

AN:  My chapters are sooo short.  I just don't have much time to write.  I will be updating next Saturday, hopefully with something longer.