There Are so Many Characters to Keep Track of

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

    "Ooookaayyy then," Dex trailed off, the words swallowed into the thick silence.  "How do we stop them from colliding?  It doesn't sound very pleasant."

     "Well-" Sophie started.

     "Stop right there, young lady," Elwin interrupted.  "You're not stopping any worlds from colliding until you've had time for those wounds to heal and your blood to replenish.  You just almost died.  That warrants at least a week of bed rest.  The world can wait."

     "I don't have time for a week of bed rest!" Sophie protested.

     "I might be able to help there," Lou Ellen interjected.  "Will, Annabeth said to try some bad poetry?"

     Will's face lit up.  "Oh, yeah, I forgot about that!" He turned to Sophie.  "Remember when I healed your leg?" He didn't wait for Sophie to respond, but plowed on.  "Well you gave me that dwarven poem, and even though it wasn't from your own species, it really helped you.  I think you have Apollo's favor, and so if I can get the right blessing, you should almost completely heal."  He frowned.  "Maybe I should try a greek poem.  She was claimed by all the gods, so even if she's not a demigod they should work, especially with Apollo's blessing."

   (while writing this I went into a deep rabbit hole of the structure of classical ancient greek poetry and how that fits into vitakinesis, so I decided to look in the books for examples.  In the books, it simply says that they 'murmured a quick hymn' or 'said a quick prayer' or things along those lines.  I'm just gonna do that here instead of trying to write an original poem in the classical greek style)

Will sang a prayer to Apollo, and Sophie suddenly felt king of tingly all over, like she was falling through the air while very wet, the drops of water sliding across her skin and into oblivion.  When the sensation subsided, she looked down at her arms and was shocked to find that the deep wounds had turned into angry red scars, like they had been healing uninterrupted for a month.

     Elwin snapped his fingers, and a pink light encased Sophie's arm.  He slid his glasses onto his face, carefully examined the wounds, and snapped his fingers again, the light disappearing.  "You look good," he stated.  "But I still want you to spend at least a night here, and the rest of you could probably use a check-up, too," he noted, examining the cuts on Nyssa and Lou Ellen's faces from bits of the flying rocks that had exploded.  Before they could protest, he waved them off, "I don't care who you are, I won't pry, even though you're obviously human." He eyed Will suspiciously.  "Even if you may have some kind of healing ability.  I'll pull the cots out of the closet." He stepped into the other room and everyone stared at each other blankly.

      It had been a long day.  A very long day.  They were very tired, especially Sophie, who could feel her eyelids betraying her and sliding closed.  She sent a tendril into Fitz's mind, too tired to speak aloud.

    Contact the Black Swan.  I think they could help us with Vespera.

    Fitz nodded.  I'll do that.  Suddenly conscious that he was still holding her hand, he squeezed it.  Get some rest.  We can talk to them in the morning.

    Sophie fell asleep, the warmth of Fitz's hand in hers assuring her that she was safe.

AN:  I know I said I would update.  Quarantine is leaving me feeling uninspired, but I wrote this chapter and I have another one that I'll publish tomorrow!  I have the end of the story planned and it's coming soon, so look forward to it!  I hope you guys liked the chapter!!

Comment!

Vote!

Follow!

Have a wonderful day! (and stay busy during quarantine!)