Dreary Dreams and Terrible Parenting

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Lou Ellen's POV

    Lou Ellen was in a cave.  A slight green glow illuminated the blank gray walls, and a river flowed through the middle, the gurgling sound of running water the only noise filling the quiet cave.  Although she had just been in a bed that was definitely not in a cave, Lou Ellen was not alarmed.  She was used to dreams like these.  Vivid and sometimes extremely real dreams were part of the territory that came with being a demigod.  While she was used to these dreams, she was unfamiliar with the location and purpose of this one.  Until she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

    "Lou Ellen..."

    She turned around and saw a person she had only ever seen twice in her life.  Her mother, Hecate.

    "My lady Hecate." Lou Ellen bowed in respect.

    "None of that, my child," the goddess whispered, and Lou Ellen raised her head to look her in the face.  Like always, Hecate's green eyes captivated Lou Ellen, and she had to force herself to look away, instead focusing on the runes that lined her robe.

    "Why have you drawn me here?" As much as she wanted it to be a simple, 'Oh just wanted to check up on you.  You know, like a normal mother,' Lou Ellen knew it wasn't that easy.  Gods didn't talk to you unless they wanted something from you.

    "Oh, my daughter...." Hecate's voice was full of sorrow and remorse.  "I wish I could save you from this life if I could, all of you." Hecate stooped and put her hand under Lou Ellen's chin, drawing the demigod's face up and forcing her to look into Hecate's eyes.

    "Yeah, well, you can't," Lou Ellen snapped, tearing her gaze away.  "So don't bother pretending you care."

     Hecate frowned.  "I do care.  More than you could know."

     "Well you didn't care enough to not fall in love with my dad and bring me here in the first place, so as far as I'm concerned, it's not enough." Lou Ellen sighed.  "Now, what did you really bring me here for.  I need to rest, I'm supposed to save the world tomorrow." She frowned.  "Or maybe 'worlds.'  It's not entirely clear."

      Hecate stood up to her full height and summoned her two torches.  Lou Ellen held back another sigh as she witnessed her mother go into full goddess mode.

       "The gods are not happy with Morpheus's actions," Hecate intoned.  "They want you to capture him and bring him to Olympus for trial."  Lou Ellen couldn't stop her jaw from dropping.

       "They want me, the daughter of a minor goddess, to capture a god and bring him to trial. Wow, that is a terrible joke."  Hecate sniffed and drew herself even further into her regal persona.

    "Don't flatter yourself.  Hepheastus himself crafted these chains, and I imbued them with a spell that should hopefully be able to subdue the strongest of beings, and should definitely be able to catch that traitor Morpheus." Lou Ellen resisted reminding her mother that she had been a 'traitor' to the gods as well not very long ago. 

      Hecate drew from a hidden pocket in her cloak a simple chain necklace with a small silver key hanging from it.  She placed it in Lou Ellen's unwilling hands, clasping her fingers around it.  "You simply need to make sure this is touching the errant god and recite a simple binding spell."

    Lou Ellen retracted her hand as if it had been burned, and carefully placed the chain around her neck.  "I can do this."  Hecate smiled sadly.

   "I know you can, my child."

*gasp* I actually updated when I said I would?!? I know I don't have the best track record, but I've got another one of a pretty decent length lined up for tomorrow!  Enjoy!!

Comment!

Vote!

Follow!

Have a supercalifragilistic day!!!