Don't Bring a Scalpel to a Sword Fight

If you guys didn't know, today is the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.  Just a cool fact of the day.

CHAPTER THIRTY

When the pegasi landed in front of the Neverseen base, Dex pressed the button again to notify Sophie that they were there and that it was time to cause a distraction. The mixed group of elves, demigods, and goblins waited with bated breath in front of the blank cliff to see what Sophie would do. The only indication that this was anything other than a serene, purple landscape was a vaguely rectangular outline of a door with a tiny hole for a camera carved in.

Suddenly, they heard a muffled explosion further down the cliff face. Not wasting time with pegasi, they sprinted towards the sound, hearing muffled roaring and shouting.

Will whispered something to Nyssa, hand Lou Ellen, his face ashen. They sprinted even faster, and the elves had to channel into their legs to keep up.

As they approached the site of the explosion, they slowed down. Shards of what looked like broken glass littered the ground, and smoke was pouring from a break in the rock face. The source of the roaring became evident as a large figure became visible, ripping apart what the rescue group hoped were Neverseen agents, not prisoners. At his feet lay a bloody figure wearing a barely recognizable orange t-shirt.

Fitz was about to reach out his mind to contact either the rampaging giant or the unconscious figure when the three demigods charged, their weapons held in front of them.

"No!" He yelled fruitlessly at them. "He's killing Neverseen!"

But instead of attacking the giant, they joined ranks with him, whispering a plan, which escalated into a short shouting match. The only words Fitz could hear were something about a brother and a war.

They seemed to reach an agreement, however, as the demigods turned their backs to each other and formed a tight circle around the battered body.

"Anyone any good at combat?!" Nyssa yelled back. "This formation needs four people, and Will really should be tending to your friend here instead of fighting these knuckleheads!" She slashed viciously at an elf with a giant claymore she definitely hadn't been carrying a few minutes ago. Lou Ellen wielded a dirk trailing purple mist, while Will carried what looked like a kopis, and not suited for battle at all.

"Will!" Nyssa shouted. "I told you to bring a proper weapon!"

"I know, I know, I know," Will muttered, searching his pockets. "I thought I grabbed the bandage flail, but t looks like I just grabbed regular bandages!"

Nyssa reached down to the figure's wrist, pulled a string, and held a dagger out toward the elves

Sandor and Grizel ignored the dagger, and stepped into the fray, allowing Will to slip into the middle to tend to the battered body.

Sophie, Fitz realized, snapping out of his reverie. The figure is Sophie.

Thanks so much for bearing with me, guys.  I'm going to try to wrap this up before school starts in mid-August, but no promises.  Swim team and coaching are over now, so I should have more time, but I'm also going camping with no cell service next week.

Comment!

Vote!

Follow!

Have a GREAT day!